Is my pool stained?

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
Levels are all okay - water coming out is clear - backwashing shows barely dirty water and only for a few seconds to clear back up - POOL IS GREEN! Nothing coming off the bottom of the pool when sweeping/netting/leaf sucking

Only thing that was low was my CYA which I've added CA for that.

No reading done today.

Could I have staining?

Pool was not covered over winter

Green means one of two things ...... metals in the water (i.e. iron/copper) or algae. We definitely would need to see test results performed by you with either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006 test kit to know if you have algae. Do you have either of those? Since you are on a well, it is very common to have metal from well water. If the metal is permitted to precipitate out long enough it can indeed stain the surfaces. You should probably read the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page.

Also - after adding cya the filter pressure keeps going up to 25 psi and the jets stop pushing water as hard and the skimmer basket in the pump doesn't have water sloshing around through the little window (if that makes sense). Have to turn off pump, release air pressure inside the slimmer basket and restart pump for the jets to function normally.

It will post from mobile device too, just need to click show sig box on all devices.

Any tube sock or knee high will work fine in the future. Don't backwash the filter until the CYA shows up on the test or it will get backwashed out of the filter.

A picture will help us and what is your PH? Green and clear=can be metals, green and cloudy=algae and you could still have metals.

Backwash when pressure rises 25%. Hopefully the CYA will mix before you need to backwash. Make sure to brush on the deep end well and often as the CYA can stain your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a ranch w a well and the galvanized pipes will certainly tell you if you have Fe [Iron-Ferric] or CA [Calcium] in your pipes. If you have PVC, you won't get build up in your pipes like galvanized, but they will become discolored or darken reddish-brown.

Well questions for you:

Have you ever tested your well water?
What type of well tank do you have? Fiberglass or Metal tank?
Also, when you test your well water, you have to run your water long enough to flush your pipe lines and possibly even your well tank depending on what it's made of and how long the water has been in the tank before you use it.
Does your toilet bowls have stains in them or rings at the water-line down? If so, you have Iron in your water for sure.

Are you sure your pool is plaster and not vinyl? The pics looks vinyl. An acid wash would ruin a vinyl liner instantly. You can look up your pool info on your county tax records. It will tell you year built and possibly more info about the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.