Need help with landscaping ideas

Last year we put in the aboveground pool and this year is the landscaping. We are planning on putting hostas around the back side of the pool and around the deck and walkway. Our backyard is on the slight slope so when they put the pool in there is about a 2 foot gap between the pool and grass which is also about a 2 foot drop. I have no clue what to do with this area. It is constantly collecting leaves in there. Here are some pictures to show what I'm trying to explain.

DSCF1857.jpg

DSCF1856.jpg

Hello,

Our yard is also on a slope. About 3 feet from top of pool to back side. We just added river rock for drainage. This works very well as about 15 foot from the back side of the pool is a wooded area. It looks very clean as we have to constantly keep on top of the weeds. The pump is also on this side of the pool. We want to put the pool deck all the way around eventually but not in the budget right now since hubby lost his job after 34 years (2 years from retirement).

Susan

No I don't have pictures since we added the river rock. It has been raining here for the most part for about 6 wks.

Also you need to get some total vegetation killer and spray it around the outside perimeter of the pool so the grass does not get under pool and start growing through the liner.

Susan

Hi,

Make sure you decide if you want to put plants IN the ground, before you spray. A total vegetation killer can last as long as a full year, which would kill the chances for most plants to be healthy (or even live) Then there are the roundup type herbicides that you can spray and plant in the area right away. Plants add beauty and screen plumbing, but you have to spray every other week or so to keep the grass away like the previous member said.

The types of plant material you could use in this application depends on the area you live and of course, personal preference and lifestyle. Some beautiful plants require lots of maintenance. There are some plants that have roots you can contain, but most uncontained plants , by nature, seek out water.

Have you considered using rock like the member suggested? Then you can use the area for groups of pots. You can show off a selection of neat pots, use different color groupings for different holidays, etc...I would use marble chips if I was considering white rock. Marbe chips will not turn to that dirty rusty,gray color. It stays white, but costs more.

Hope this helps a little,
ODUlady

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.