Snakes, chairs and gators- help please!

May 30, 2016
West monroe, LA
long story short, I grew up using this pool at my grandparents house in Louisiana and it has been sitting unused and uncared for- for maybe 10 years. I'm driving there now and we will be there for a month. We would like to bring it back to it's former glory but my husband and I have no idea how to begin. We don't know if the equipment works or not, that will be the first thing we look at (right?) and I have been told there have been snakes spotted and possibly a chair in there, not sure of the gators, that was just for attention, te-he-he. Do we drain, clean and start fresh or get it clear and then go from there. It is a cement pool and my dad used to paint it before the start of every pool season. That is the only information I have at the moment, when I get on site, I can updateUnknown-1.jpegUnknown.jpeg. I could use help on just where to start in general. I know checking the equipment, other than that, no clue. We appreciate any advice and suggestions y'all can give us.

My first concern would be if it really holds water, with the amount of rain we have received in Louisiana this spring I am surprised it is not over flowing. suspect this one is going to need to be drained, cleaned and resurfaced, but before you drain be aware their are dangers to draining a pool if the surrounding water table is high, in particular the pool can float up out of the ground if you don't take measures to prevent it which may include hydrostatic plugs that need to be removed from the bottom of the pool, dewatering well points around the perimeter, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.