Phosphate problem

Hello. This is my first post here but have been reading threads over the past few weeks and found things to be very helpful. Pool was installed last year and I never had one before. So this is all new to me.
My pool was perfect last week. Had a party over the weekend and a big storm sun into Monday. My pool is now green. Pool store tested last week and was fine. Now they are telling me it is dangerous and phosphates are over 3800. Sold me $200 of chemicals and said I had to have someone come in and vac to waste. I don't know what this is. Is it something I can do?? Why does it seem like this is going to cost a fortune. Please help.
Thanks,
Joe

Welcome to TFP!

The pool store is full of it. You can safely ignore phosphates in your pool. So, you've been "pool stored".

So, please read up in Pool School at the top right of this page. One section you need to read soon is How to SLAM
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You are going to need a good test kit, I recommend the TF-100.
TFTestkits.net

Please enter the specifics of your pool in your signature line. Or in a post at least for now so we know what we are dealing with.

I feel very ignorant to this pool thing. I know there is a learning curve, but I want to get it right. The "pool guy" told me that phosphates are caused by chemical spraying in my area and this change is dangerous and needs to be fixed. What is the point of the phosphate level test? Just for them to make money?

Updated my Signiture

Algae feed on phosphates, so yes if you have a lot, any algae that is there may grow even faster.

At tfp, we keep the chlorine level constantly sufficient that algae never grow and thus phos level is irrelevant. Expensive to treat and one more variablethan you need.

This is what my pool looks like right now

imagejpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It should not take too long to correct, but you need a kit able to test FC high enough to perform the SLAM procedure. If you are EXTREMELY lucky, they may have the K2006, but it's rare. DO NOT let them talk you into the K2005, it is not the same as it is missing the key piece you need.

Oh well. They had garbage. I just ordered from tftestkits.net. Can anyone help me with the numbers I have?
Free Chlorine - 0.01
Total Chlorine - 0.04
Combined - 0.03
Cyanuric Acid - 2
Borate - over 72
Phosphate - 3816

This are all the bad readings from pool store test. I currently have 6 bags of shock and swim, 5 bottles of phosaway and 1 bottle of superfloc.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks again,

Yes, we can help.

You really need to read up on Pool School. ABC's of Water Chemistry, and SLAM procedures. Reading about the Pool Math application will be good too, because that is what will help you know how much of what chemicals to add.

Another thing, please update your signature line with your pool specifics. At least post something here soon, because we have no idea how much chlorine to tell you to add. You also didn't add a CYA (stabilizer) number, so that also makes it impossible to know what to tell you regarding chlorine volume.

Help us, and we will help you. :)

Those numbers are irrelevant.

Anything that can test to the hundredth of a part per million is just guessing.

The BIGGEST issue is how much stabilizer is in your water, and no pool store in existence will give you that number because they want you to have it out of whack. That way, they can sell you useless potions for $200 that do nothing.

Best guess right now is for you to pour a gallon of bleach into the pool every day until the test kit comes in. That will keep your FC up enough to keep it from becoming a total disaster.

Whatever you do Joe, do NOT add the pool store chemicals. Big no-no. Have you (or anyone else) ever added stabilizer/conditioner to the water yet? That would be good to know. If not, we can at least help you with that. The other numbers are for the most part worthless. We would be curious about pH and TA though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.