Minimax heater issue

Oct 11, 2015
Dallas tx
Hello, I have a pentair mini max gas heater that I went to fire for the first time this year and it would not light gave me an error 5 cod which seems to be igniter issue. I removed the entire heater assembly today and cleaned it out as well as verify proper gas pressure before the gas valve. I put it all back together and now when it try to turn the heat on the light comes on for 2-4 secs and the gas valve gets 24v but than the heat light goes off. It just keeps doing this over and over its not locking out or throwing error codes. Any ideals I also checked the igniter 120v and it's plenty hot.

Ps0303 thank you for the advice. Would the burner tube be consider right after the valve. Or is that the header tube. After the gas valve it goes to what I would call a header than has an opening to each burner. However when I pulled the burners out and cleaned them by blowing air and I made sure all lines where clear by feeling for air. I am going to call pentair support tommorow. I just can't see it calling for heat off and thanot on for 2-5 seconds and not throwing a code. Makes me think it is possibly a board issue. I am have tried to check saftey device voltage during the heater stage but it's hard when you only have 4 seconds.

The burner tubes are what I was talking about. Did you by chance clean the gas orifices that are located on the manifold, header as you called it. There are small brass fittings that the gas flows thru into the burner tubes. Sometimes spider webs are in them preventing correct flow of gas into the burner tubes. Seeing you can smell gas tells me that gas is flowing but not igniting as it is not getting to the ignitor.

Ps0303 you were right! I had taken the manifold loose earlier and blew out the whole assembly so while looking today I notice the gas offices you were talking about could be unscrewed with a 13mm socket to really clean them out. Blew them out and tried it again for the 100th time and she lite. Thank you for the advice I called pentair 3 times and waited 30 mins each with no answer each time.......side question while checking voltage again I am getting 35-48vac when I go to the control circuit to ground. I check the secondary of the transformer where it goes into the board and it's 27vac but on the 24vac output on the board that is where to high voltage ground starts is that normal? Everything is working just don't like having that high of voltage to ground? Thank you again

I've seen that once or twice but other than a bad transformer, I was not able to decipher what was happening. System runs fine so I let it go and it's still running OK to this day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.