What size sand filter and pump for intex 16x48

May 28, 2016
Fullerton, CA
Hello ya'll
Im new to pools and the forum and have done a lot of research. This place has been great. Anyways, I am setting up a intex 16x48 and was gonna go to with the 2800 gph intex sand filter... but notice it only has a .5 HP pump... is that enough? I noticed on a few videos online people have 1-1.5 HP pumps. I will have fountain as well as a solar water heater attached. Thanks for the help

The solar panel will be mounted at the rear near the pump and will be 5-6 ft off the ground.. I will have a ball valve to control the water flow... the Fountain will be a 3 piece of pvc will hole drilled and attached to the top rail... thanks for the help

I suspect you will be fine with the Intex sand filter pump then, you will just need to experiment with hole size for the fountain, if you don't have one already you may want to at least add a timer for the pump so it only runs in prime sunlight hours as solar heaters also make effective pool coolers at night and during rain, even on cloudy days.

Ike

p.s as an ultra cheap alternative to a true solar controller you might try using one of these: Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1000w, w/ Sensor: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific putting the temperature sensor at the solar panel output and set to come on any time it gets hotter than the desired pool temperature I use one of these for a non pool related purpose, it has a programable cycle delay so it would not rapid cycle the pump if the incoming water cools the sensor too much. They also have other models that incorporate different day / night settings, timers, etc. (there is also a model with a detachable temperature probe in case you need to add a longer lead it appears to use a common 1/8 inch headphone style connector)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.