Granular Chlorine without stabilizer / CYA

taras1

Jul 3, 2014
Staten Island, NY
I am using chlorine granular without stabilizer directly into the pool with a new vinyl liner. My pump is on when I put this into my pool but I have a problem. The granular chlorine sinks to the bottom of the pool. I stir it around a few times but doesn't desolve fast and sits on the bottom of my pool liner and I am afraid of bleaching my new dark color liner due to this. I was told this is the only way to do this without liquid which I am afraid to splash my eyes skin clothes. I am not sure I am allowed to name the brand of chlorine granular without stabilizer I am using. I was told my pool 15' round is to small for the 3" tabs and it contails stabilizer. I was also told not to use the 1" tabs also. Any other options. Also afraid of putting the chlorine granular into the filter. I have contacted the manufacturer of the new filter I have and told do not put the chlorine granular into the skimmer basket. Is there any other options. Am I wrong in being afraid of bleaching the new vinyl liner? It does not look good though with granular on the bottom. Kind of reminds me of what algae looks like. Any sugestions would be great. Are there other brands that will not sink to the bottom of my pool? I am a senior and not sure I posted this as a question? couldn't find the link to do it.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

All granular chlorine products add something, generally something you don't want. They either add stabilizer, calcium or litithium.

Yes, leaving the granules on the bottom can bleach it. You either want to transition to liquid or install a salt water chlorine generator.

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are probably using cal-hypo, calcium hypochlorite, which adds calcium to your pool. Eventually the calcium level will get very high in your pool increasing risk of scaling and you will need partially drain the pool to dilute the CH level. And any granular chlorine product needs to be brushed until fully dissolved so it does not sit on the liner.

When I add bleach/liquid chlorine to my pool I float the bottle on the water surface with the spout about an inch above the water and slowly pour in front of a return. There is no splashing with this method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.