New pool here, quick question for the pros.

May 31, 2016
Warne, NC
Hey guys, so the kids talked me into a pool and they are having a blast with it now that i have it all set up and going. I had a small run in with it trying to go green on me and i knocked that out by getting all the chemicals right finally.

Its nothing fancy just a intex 18x52 so not quite 7k gallons. What i'm wondering is it has a skimmer on the side that leads to the filter, and the return is almost parallel with the opening for the skimmer. Should i try and fill it enough to where the return is under water or let it spray along the top of the water like it is doing now?

If i fill it to get the return under water the skimmer opening will be about half full, but not above the little flap. With my limited experience it looks like it would still work that high. I guess what i am asking in my rambling way is, does it matter if the return is spraying across the top of the water or does it need to be submerged. I got to thinking it may be forcing contaminates into the water pushing across the top like it is, i'm just not sure if that's the case or not. Sorry if my wording or description isn't right, i'm still learning as i go and you guys have helped me just by the reading i can do here.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

• Pool is almost 7000 gallons
  • above ground pool
  • cartridge filter, Intex 1500 GPH pump
  • Pool is about 2 weeks old now since full
  • Using test strips right now, looking to order something better
  • well water

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: The main issue with the return constantly spraying on the surface is that it is aerating the water which will increase pH. Sometimes that can be a problem when you don't want pH to rise too fast. Only your water testing will confirm that. The overall water level should be mid-way up the skimmer. In fact, I keep mine at mid-way to 3/4 up the skimmer to ensure I have good water-flow into the skimmer to avoid sucking-in air to the pump. If the return is still peeking-above the surface, you could also try attaching a PVC fitting to it and pointing it more downward or downward at an angle so it goes into the water better for you. That might even help enhance water circulation. You should be able to make that a little DIY project. :)

Nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.