why is my baquacil oxidizer disappearing

We are just now starting to convert from Baquacil to chlorine, and we will be using a salt water chlorine generator. I can't tell you how much Baquacil oxidizer we went through last summer. We also had clarity issues. So this year we decided we'd had enough of the Baquacil and are switching. I have found the people in this forum to be exceptional. Believe me, I'm a wreck thinking about this whole conversion thing but I feel confident that with some help, it will be well worth it.

Just be patient with your conversion. It takes time. Like I told you earlier you will save money, I know from experience and a waste of money last year. Right now all I have to deal with is the debris the wind blows in during the many thunderstorms we have had this spring. I opened to clear water only a few leaves and pinestraw that the leafnet let get through.
CONVERTING FROM BAQUA TO BBB This is my post of my conversion and what my pool looked like at the end of July last year. It is the first picture. None of that this year. Just make sure you get a good test kit. I honestly do not think the chlorine will bother your wife if you get rid of all of the combined chlorine. Just make sure it is less than 1.

Good Luck,
Susan

OK, I think that I am going to make the switch. I will go to my pool store today to get what I need. What is the best test kit that I need to purchase without breaking the bank. I have seen them anywhere from $5.00 to $200.00.
My pool is a above ground, 18 round, 4 feet high.

The two kits we recommend unfortunately most often can't be found in pool stores; The TF-100 and the Tayor K-2006. The TF-100 is created and sold by one of the local members here (Dave aka duraleigh) and lots of forum members have it and use it. I used a link to SPS for the K-2006 because that's about the cheapest price I've found online for it. Both test kits have the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which can accurately measure your FC and CC to 20ppm + in units of .2 ppm or .5 ppm. The kits may seem to be a bit pricey, but they pay for themselves by allowing you to take control of your water balance and add what you need, instead of relying on a pool store to tell you what they think your water balance is, and selling you a lot of stuff you don't need.

I would second the advice on the above kits, and also recommend since you are doing a conversion, that you order extra FAS-DPD powder and titrant drops, as you will be doing a lot of FC testing during the conversion process. If stored properly, your kit should last a year or two.

Before they developed CDX we used the A & B packets each week when we added oxidizer. The CDX is what helps to maintain the oxidizer level in your pool water. If you don't use it, the environment will quickly dissipate your oxidizer. If you cannot afford to purchase the chemicals for this type of system, you probably would do best to convert to chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.