Above Ground Pool Not Level, Please Help

Hello Everyone,

I'm a total newbie and need HELP please!!! I just purchased a 14x42 SummerWaves Elite Metal Frame Above Ground Pool and I'm having major issues with more water on one side than the other. The pool is in our backyard which is all concrete (no grass). We set up the entire pool as instructed with tarp underneath and began filling it with water when we noticed more water was adding to one side than the other. The backyard seemed level but this was indicating a slight downward slope instead. So we decided to use wooden planks under the metal legs to attempt to level it all out. We used a level to ensure all sides were even and they were however, it minimally fixed the issue. Although this technique helped, the one side is still deeper than the other. We read that the max that it should be off is under 2 inches but we're at 4.0 maybe even 4.5 inches of a difference. We only filled the pool up to a little over ankle deep (i'm 5'3) and then we stopped. This is the only area we can have the pool, there's no other spots to place it. What can we do to fix this uneven slope on the one side without having to alter our yard? I've read so many things and looked up on all forums and I'm so lost - some say use sand under and around, some say don't, others say just fill it up it should be fine (but I'm way too nervous it might break and flood into our basement and houses nearby since we live in the city). We really, really want this pool to work...Someone please help us!!! :confused:

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: It's unfortunate that the slope is so noticeable. I suppose that's normal for that concrete slab since most patios and such are designed for water run-off. In any case, the pool legs (vertical posts) on the lower end will need to be raised. There's no way around that. You can use items like 12x12 concrete pavers to adjust the height a little more to meet your need, but you want to have a goal of no more than 1 inch off-level around the pool. The amount of force applied by a lopsided pool is tremendous, and you don't want that pool to rupture on the low side sending water in one direction or hurting someone in/around the pool. Best to fix it now before it gets full of water, then watch carefully as it fills. One thing for sure, water does not lie. Water always levels itself perfectly. Nice to have you with us at TFP.

If this were mine, and I really wanted this pool, I'd go get those wall blocks for retaining walls or build a frame out of timber and put around the low side, add sand to level it , put pavers under each leg to distribute the weight n fill that baby up. I think it could work but you'll have to put more money into it.

Just leveling off the legs is not the proper way to do it, you need to level off the base floor as well. I would suggest that since it is on concrete that you build a wooden form using 4x4's and fill with pool sand, leveling it off, with supports under the legs so they are not just resting on sand (they will sink otherwise).

Hello All, :handwave: Thank you so very much for all the feedback! I'm still a bit cloudy on what to do though. Are there any examples in photo form that could help me out a bit further? I'm including photos of what I'm working with so you can see. (Some of the photos display a small construction cone, that cannot be moved because that's where we get our oil for the winter time just as a heads up) hoping for a solution if there is one!
IMG_5835 [37890].jpgIMG_5833 [37886].jpg

here's a full scope of the yard:

(the wood planks are placed under the leg posts because this is the side where most of the water is "the deeper end" and we didn't attach the pump that's why those holes are there- we were too scared to fill it all the way up due to the unevenness)
IMG_5832.jpg

First, empty and take down the pool. Put it off to the side.

build a frame around the outside of where the pool will be placed, using 2x4 or 4x4 pressure-treated lumber - Square, octogonal, whatever. Anchor this frame every couple feet to the concrete (many ways to do this).

Now fill the frame with pool sand and compact it, making the top of the sand level. This is the new base for your pool.

Wherever you have a post, use a concrete paving stone or more pressure-treated wood shims to provide a solid support surface that bears on the existing concrete (i.e. remove some sand where the posts fall, replace it with the pavers/wood blocks, then pack the sand back around it)

kind of like this, but with paver stones at the leg locations
pool-base-on-concrete.jpg

xleveling-yard-for-intex-pool-21520089.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Qed9nfxxvP.jpg

My last 3 pools were on couple of blocks like yours with no problems. It's not the correct/right way, but worked out fine for me. However, there will be a lot of movement in the joints for faster rusting with salt water. With my (now leveled) pool, way less movement and rusting. Good luck either way.

Attachments

• smallP1000848.jpg
    smallP1000848.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 184

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, So we're looking into the option explained with the lumber frame as suggested by some of you but is this the best option for a seasonal pool? We won't be able to keep it up because we experience sporadic winters being from the Northeast. Also, it seems like it would be okay if we did it half way supporting the side where the water pools the most or should the entire pool be on this frame. Thoughts?

i would consider just leaving the frame and sand base over the winter, and taking the pool down. No sense re-leveling the area every year. I would provide a base under the entire pool, even if the sand base ends up only an inch deep at the high end

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.