New here looking for advice

May 26, 2016
Clifton park, NY
Hello. This is my first time posting. I do not know much about my pool since we moved in last year. We opened the pool last summer and it was not easy to maintain and is an older pool showing lots of wear. I got an estimate to resurface the pool with Diamond Brite and tiling for 14x32 pool with a larger opening for the stairs. This was $15,000. (Double of what I was thinking). Another quote for Thoroseal, and any necessary patching is $10,000 (keeping my existing tiling and repairing some pieces. (Two different pool companies). I searched many of the threads here and still am not sure what the best bet would be. I live in upstate NY and the pools are only open for about 4 months. I find most of the pool companies here do not work with concrete/gunite. I was thinking of calling a mason for a quote but would like everything to be done by a pool professional. I appreciate any advice.

Welcome to TFP

I was thinking 1/2 that also. But I live in a land with lots of competition in the pool business.

I don't think the mason route will work. Pool plastering is a speciality niche. I have my doubts they would want to venture there.

I would look for pool plastering companies. Most pool companies or pool builders don't do the plastering they sub it out. See if you can cut out the middleman. I would look beyond the local area these crews tend to travel.

Welcome to TFP!

It does seem high. You definitely need to be dealing with pool contractors, not masons. Call Wet Edge and Pebbletec to ask for referrals to local companies to apply their products.