Think i made a mistake....

Z7What

Mar 23, 2015
New Orleans Area
About 3.5 years I had the liner in my pool changed. It was a dark blue color and looked great. About 2 years ago I bought a Lil' Shark to help keep the pool clean and I must say im blown away with how well it works. Since the day I installed it I hadn't used my net a single time. Well this winter I kept the Lil' Shark in the pool 24/7, during the winter the pump ran roughly 8hours a day. I also kept my FC between 4-7ppm. Pool has looked great. Although I have been jumping in the pool after cutting the grass or working outside to cool off for over a month now, this weekend was the first time the family and some friends jumped in. We had a blast but since I have become so OCD about my pool I noticed something recently and that is that my once dark blue colored liner was no longer dark blue, its a faded blue and in some spots it doesn't have ANY color left.

So im thinking that because I had the Lil' Shark on so much that is scrubbed away the color of the liner. I did make sure when I had the liner replaced that I bought the thickest liner available. Should I worry about it causing a issue as far as leaking or making the liner fail or is it just a cosmetic issue?

Ill try and post some pics.

Wayne

This was last year (almost exactly 1yr ago 5-28-15)
9457F216-FAD0-490F-9108-DB87A7FBA894.jpg

This also was last year (same day as the picture above, but this photo was taken UNDERwater)
16992873-F72B-400E-AEED-DA0AF3FE8A47.jpg

This is today (his image is from my security cameras so it doesn't show the "white" spots very well)
4B1BD6B1-03CB-4F7F-8106-0C7F48C82B3E.jpg

Wayne

- - - Updated - - -

I think over easy the darker the liner, the more prone to fading, but that could be wrong. One question that is relevant.... What has your CYA level been?

I keep it at 40, it did drop to 25-30 at one point but not for long.

Wayne

Darker colors fade a good bit. Its not necesarily chlorine fault but also the sun. I would say the white spots are from the cleaner. I have white spots on my liner due to rubbing from my steps. My liner is 3 years old too and it's definitely faded since I first dropped it in but its not dark blue.

Yes, mine fade a little from new, but I think it's the sun, mine Lil shark have been permanently in the pool for a year now doing a great work, but I don't blame her for the fading I don't think so... ?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Wayne, I think I have the same liner pattern as you and mine has faded quite a bit in 5 years. I also use a Shark but I don't feel that the bristles would have effected the color. I also have whiter spots on the bottom. My liner is much darker just above the average water line. I can't recall the thickness of mine but in March I installed a Pentair light so I removed a small circle of the liner and the PVC was still soft. For my liner at least, it doesn't seem that the fading has effected the integrity of the PVC very much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.