Omnilogic with a Pentair Superflo VS pump?

You could possibly run it with the relays but why do it when the MaxFlo VS is fully compatible uses a PM motor (SuperFlo is induction) and is more efficient than the SuperFlo.

So the whole story is, my pump died end of the season last year. The pool service company I used installed a Pentair Superflo VS pump and realized after the fact that the pump would only be compatible by wiring it via the relay option. So either I buy additional relays or the pool company has offered to swap out the pump for a Hayward.

Here's the specs of my pool:
1.5" plumbing
30,000 gallon pool with spa (6 jets) spill over
Heater
Pressure controlled pool cleaner that uses the pool pump
Nautilus 48 sq/ft DE Filter
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-15)

What would you suggest I do? They didn't offer the Maxflo as an option. They only talked to me about the Hayward Super pump

Sorry, I missed that the spa was being run by the same pump. Then no, none of those would work well. They are all low head pumps and spas require high head pumps. The only option is the Hayward EcoStar.

My understanding is that the current model Superflo does use a permanent magnet motor.
SuperFlo uses an induction motor. I have the source somewhere, I just have to find it again. But if you notice, the site doesn't mention a PM motor but for the others it does. Also, that is the only VS pump that has fins on the motor while the others that claim a PM motor don't. Induction motors run hotter with a VFD.

I believe that version is a PM but compare it to the one on the US site. They are different. This is the 342001 which I believe is the induction motor:

342001_5_.jpg

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/superflovsBR.pdf

So when I use the spa, I close all valves to the main pool and that pump becomes dedicated to just the spa during that time. When I spoke to Hayward, they mentioned the Tristar for the same reasons you mentioned Ecostar.

With the larger pump requiring larger pipe size and and all my plumbing being 1.5". Is that bad for a pump to restrict both the inlet/outlet?

- - - Updated - - -

That's the model I currently have. The Superflo 342001

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Polaris Spa blower. Only one pump for water movement. The pool was built over 20 years ago so not sure if they did things different back than.

Also, whats the max flow for my Nautilus 48 sq/ft filter? I looked at the Ecostar specs and that thing pushes twice the amount of water than the Super pump

I really appreciate all your help with this

They may have 1/4" jets on the spa so you don't need as much flow rate to run them.

What was your old pump's make and model#?

Did the spa jets feel strong enough to you?

So the previous pump was a 1.5hp Challenger pump. So with the last pump and my current pump, I have two jets that don't have any flow coming out. I'm not sure if something else is going on or this is a sign of not enough water flow. I'm not sure how the plumbing was ran, but the two jets with no flow are two furthest from the pump. The flow seems good coming out of the other 4 jets but I'm not sure what good or bad feels like.

They may have deliberately closed off the other two jets. You might be able to tell if you drain the spa (into the pool) and look into the hole where the jet is. If they did do that and you want to leave it that way, you may be able to get away with one of the smaller pumps (e.g. MaxFlo). But the Challenger is a much higher head pump and the EcoStar would have similar performance.

So is the SuperFlo operational? If so are the jets strong enough for you? You might actually want to get into the spa to check it out. If not, I would go with the EcoStar.

The difference between going with the SuperFlo vs a Hayward pump is going to be that for the SuperFlo, you will not be able to program the pump speeds through the controller. However, you will still be able to change the speeds and turn the pump on and off via the relays.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.