Sand in the pool, broken laterals?

May 7, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Trying to get my pool in order and I am getting a enough sand blown back in the pool to make it very noticeable on the bottom of the pool. It is a Hayward sand filter and was just installed last July. Could it be a broken lateral or more? Or could there be a simpler explaination do to my backwashing and rinsing? Getting ticked off by this situation. I like having a clean pool!

When I backwash I turn the pump off, switch multiport valve to backwash and turn the pump back on. When sight glass in clear I turn the pump off, switch to rinse and run rinse for about 30 sec to a minute. Is this right, or am I missing something that would result in the sand getting put back into pool?

Also, if you think it is a lateral, do I have any kind of warranty that I could get work done, or just something I do myself? Thanks for the help!!!

I wondered the same thing a summer or two ago.

Duraleigh instructed me to backwash and rinse my filter thoroughly.

When I did that and everything was ok, they then had me remove the lid/ deep clean. I did that as well. I couldn't reach or see the laterals with my arm/ fingers.

When I put it back together after the deep clean (there are instructions on this site ~ I believe a video) it was then thought the spider gasket in my multi-port could have been broken.

So there are a couple things you can check/do before a pro sees this.

Good Luck!

Your backwash routine sounds right.

If the pool wasn't winterized properly, water could have frozen inside the filter. The standpipe and laterals are a whole lot weaker than the body, so if ice starts expanding, they're what's going to crush and crack. So that's one possibility.

Did you add new sand this year? If it wasn't graded properly, some of the grains will be small enough to slip through the laterals. Eventually, they'll all wash through.

One way to be sure the sand is coming from the filter and not some kid throwing clods, rubberband a hole-less sock over the return jet. If the pool floor stays clean but the sock fills up, you know it's time to open things up.

The hardest part of the sand filter repair is opening it. Sometimes you have to cut plumbing to get the cap off. Emptying it isn't so bad if you use a wet-n-dry shop vacuum. Then depending on brand, you either fold up the laterals or reach in and unscrew them and lift the guts out.

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter has some really good cutaway views and explanations of how a sand filter works a little way down.

No one has been in the pool yet, I vacuumed Saturday, put the cover on, came back today and uncovered to find a good amount of sand. Maybe my closing practice is bad. No new sand added since the filter install last summer. I did just install a Superflo vs pump last week. Any chance the difference in flow from old pump to new pump could make a difference?

When I close, I blow out lines, the filter is last to remove pressure gauge, sight glass, and drain cap and let it drain out. I do this in sept so plenty of time for water to drain before freezing temps. Am I doing something wrong?

No one has been in the pool yet, I vacuumed Saturday, put the cover on, came back today and uncovered to find a good amount of sand. Maybe my closing practice is bad. No new sand added since the filter install last summer. I did just install a Superflo vs pump last week. Any chance the difference in flow from old pump to new pump could make a difference?

When I close, I blow out lines, the filter is last to remove pressure gauge, sight glass, and drain cap and let it drain out. I do this in sept so plenty of time for water to drain before freezing temps. Am I doing something wrong?
Did the normal pressure on the filter gauge go up after the new pump?

I have been a little confused by it, since the pump is a vs it goes up and down with the speed. Old 1 hp pump it ran around 20 psi right now I have the pump on 2000 rpm and it is at 10 psi. At 3300 it jumps to 25 psi
It might just be the increased flow is flushing the undersized particles out. Use a sock to catch 'em and get rid of 'em. Maybe it'll stop doing that once all the puny ones are out of the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.