Suction side cleaner recommendations?

Sidecarist

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2015
Dayton, TN
Hello all. My pool has a very simple pump/filter system with no dedicated pressure port, but I do have a side vacuum port.

The pool is wide open and gets mostly wind blown debris, grass, small seeds, worms etc. on the bottom.

Currently we have a barracuda g3 that came with the house and it works OK sometimes but gets tangled in its own hose...

I'm thinking about an automated suction side ckeaner. The zodiac mx8 elite and the pool cleaner are the leading contenders.

Does anyone have experience with these, or suggestions based on experience.

Thanks!

poolvergnuegen "the pool cleaner" I really love mine it is always connected and runs when the pump is on, it never gets stuck and the hose is always good.. I also added a leaf catcher

Amazon.com : Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000013 The PoolCleaner Automatic 2-Wheel Suction Cleaner for Concrete Pools : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Zodiac Cyclonic Automatic Pool Cleaner Leaf Catcher Canister : Patio, Lawn Garden

many people are going to the robots and love them also :)

Thanks, the pool cleaner is highly recommended and looks like it will do most of what I want. My barracuda scrubs a bit and I like that. That's why I'm interested in the zodiac mx8 elit aso ithe has brushes thast con tact the bottom.

Anyone out there with an mx8 or mx6 that can offer your experiences?

I am going to offer a different opinion on Hayward's "The Pool Cleaner Next Generation." I read a lot of positive reviews about Poolvergnugen's The Pool and a few negative reviews. So I went ahead and ordered one. It turned out to be a piece of junk. It never climbed the wall. It doesn't "scrub" anything. It tend to stay in the deep end only. Then I realized that the positive reviews were for the the Poolvergnugen's The Pool Cleaner. However, Hayward bought the designed from Poolvergnugen and renamed it "The Pool Cleaner Next Generation." And I think Hayward turned a good design into a piece of junk. Anyway - I finally got rid of it and purchased a Dolphin S300i robot. I should have bought a robot a long time ago.

I've got the Pentair Rebel. It's a copy of the "The Pool Cleaner". It didn't do a good job until I got the speed right and the tyres broke in a bit. I don't think vacuuming walls is a necessity, and it didn't go up the walls at first. Once I got the flow up to around 24 GPM (90 LPM) and the tyres roughened up a bit, it went up the walls to about 500 (20") below the surface. That works for me because I don't want it going near the surface and sucking air. Mine stayed in the deep end 2/3 of the time until the tyres broke in. I brush the pool myself in about 20 minutes once or twice a week, so I'm not worried about brushing.

I have nothing to compare to other than one mate with an MX6 who is not thrilled with it. FWIW, when I pointed to the MX6 and MX8, the pool store said too many moving parts and the vanes near the intake get clogged easily. They also sell the "The Pool Cleaner" in high numbers (it's a warehouse store). That is their top recommendation, but they haven't had any issues with the Rebel, so they said save the $100 difference. I won't know any better until a few years from now, but it runs smoothly without any clunks or grinds. I tried a Barracuda which they took back, thankfully, because it had trouble with our right angle corners and I didn't like the thumping noise ringing out via the fence glass. Both the Barracuda and the Pentair handled the big hard gum leaves here.

I really wanted a robot. I was dead set on the m500 centre brush job. I got scared off when I heard of people only getting 3 or 4 years out of them, cause they're $2K+ down here. I wonder if that might be people who leave them in the pool more than needed. If I ever have a big pool, I would get a dolphin for sure, for the brushing.

I was away for a while and the pool got a nice noticeable layer of dust. You could see the Rebel tracks and how it covered the pool. It was tidy in about 2.5/3 hours. Not quite as well as I could do with the manual vacuum, but very close. By the next run with the Rebel, it was just as clean as I can manage with the manual brush (day before) and vacuum (next morning). My take is that the Rebel saves me around 20 minutes per cleaning vs. brushing and vacuuming manually. (50 minutes manual, including 20 minutes to brush and 30 minutes to vacuum real slow). I get a beer in my hand vacuuming either way, so all good.

I have the Zodiac leaf catcher mentioned above and I have to say avoid getting that one. The problem with it is that it sucks in air through the lid and builds up air in the pump basket. I researched this and many people have the same issues as me. The fix is to put a small rock in the catcher so it stays submerged and this prevents it from sucking in air.

I also have a five year old "the pool cleaner" which has run perfectly, and the only parts that have been replaced are the tires.

If the cleaner broke today, I would buy a Dolphin S300i robot so I could clean the pool without running the pump.

Ok, MX8 Elite showed up and is in the pool. We were away for 3 weeks and came home to a great looking pool thanks to all the help of TFP! It needs thorough brushing etc but I'm going to install the MX8 first to see what it does.

I pulled the barracuda g3 and installed the MX8 using my side port, so far I'm very happy with it. It climbs to the tile line, and the elite unit has small silicone squeegees on the rotors. It looks to be bushing the walls for me. I'm quite happy with that. I'll only have to scrub the steps, light etc by hand now. The g3 never climbed more than a foot up the walls. I don't have large debris, but do see seeds, bugs etc quite a bit. No hose tangling like I had with the G3 so I won't need the hose twister any more and it's problems with getting air into the system.

It seems well built and if it lasts well I would recommend it. Time will tell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, MX8 Elite showed up and is in the pool. We were away for 3 weeks and came home to a great looking pool thanks to all the help of TFP! It needs thorough brushing etc but I'm going to install the MX8 first to see what it does.

I pulled the barracuda g3 and installed the MX8 using my side port, so far I'm very happy with it. It climbs to the tile line, and the elite unit has small silicone squeegees on the rotors. It looks to be bushing the walls for me. I'm quite happy with that. I'll only have to scrub the steps, light etc by hand now. The g3 never climbed more than a foot up the walls. I don't have large debris, but do see seeds, bugs etc quite a bit. No hose tangling like I had with the G3 so I won't need the hose twister any more and it's problems with getting air into the system.

It seems well built and if it lasts well I would recommend it. Time will tell.

Hi Sidecarist, I wondering if you were still happy with your MX8 elite? I am thinking of buying one in a couple of months. Are you running it with a variable speed pump? any issues?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jonny

Im running an MX8 with a variable speed pump. So far so good. Ive not had it suck any air operating from 400-1100 wats of power (400 just running- 1100 with solar on and really pumping water.

Of the mat type cleaners the T5 is the most aggressive, far more than the G3 or older G5
It gets to the shallow end more than any other suction side device Ive used on less power.

UD

Attachments

• IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 128
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.