Is PoolMath 'stabilizer' CYA or trichlor?

Mar 9, 2016
Bakersfield, Ca
In the PoolMath CYA section, to go from 0 to 40 it says "Add 64 oz (4#) by weight or 67 oz by volume of stabilizer"

Is that pure CYA, dichlor, or trichlor? The reason I ask is I just emptied and refilled to lower my CYA, added about 2-3# of CYA to a ~12,000 gal pool, and the CYA level now reads ~50 (dipstrips) so I have a higher CYA than I expected.

Trichlor only contains about half CYA by weight, but pure CYA is pure CYA.
What is the PoolMath calculator based on?

Thanks for running a great forum!

That much CYa in any form. That's kinda like saying you can have 3 ounces of alcohol per day. Whether you choose to drink PGA, beer, wine or whatever------only difference is the ALCOHOL content by volume.

It is based on CYA sold as stabilizer. Trichlor and dichlor do add CYA. Play with the part at the bottom of pool math where you can calculate the effects of adding different chemicals. That can help you determine how much CYA to stabilized chlorine products will add.

That's pure granular CYA.

If you intend to use Trichlor, scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath and see what 16 oz of Trichlor will do to your pool (Set the volume first) Then work off that to figure out how much you need. Remember Trichlor is very acidic.

Thank you all! I have pure granular CYA.

Suggestion for the forum- Add a chemical levels default to the entry screen, or make it one of the formatting tools to paste into the post:
FC
TC
CC
Temp
CYA
pH
TA

CH
Borate
Water Clarity

So newbies will remember to post their #'s!
FC 3
TC
CC
Temp
CYA
pH
TA
CH 220
Borate
38 (calc)
Water Clarity
Crystal w sl surface debris

I have 25# CaCl on order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.