Hayward Super Pump help

May 11, 2014
Malvern, PA
I got an in-ground pool back in 2011. I have a 2 speed Hayward Superpump sp1610z2msc. It runs 9 hrs day on my timer. Pool is open from mid may to beginning of September. When I opened the pool this year, I noticed the pump is making a high pitched buzzing noise when running on high speed. Its not very loud but its a new noise the pump has never made before. The pump is outside all year long and get the full brunt of weather - Snow, Ice, rain etc...

Should I disconnect the pump and replace the bearings (assuming that's the cause of the noise?) Should I get a new pump? Is this normal as pumps wear, that they get noisier when they age. Water pressure has been fine, and I am meticulous about cleaning my DE filter to maintain the correct pressure.

Should I have been doing maintenance on the pump in the winter? I've never removed it from the system to do anything to it. Its just been running perfect up until this year.

Thoughts?

Yea it sounds like the bearings are going. If you feel you are capable and have a bearing puller and press, you can replace the bearings. You can also replace the motor or the entire pump. Personally, I would probably go the motor replacement route because wet ends usually last for a long time. Replacing bearings requires special tools and if not done correctly could end up failing shortly anyway. But you may be willing to do it.

As for prevention, the best thing to do is be aware of any water under the pump. That usually means the seal is leaking and that means water makes it's way to the bearings which then rust and fail.

Thanks. I did some quick research on a new pump. My old pump is a Hayward dual speed. 1.5 - 1.25 hp Service Factor 1. Rated for 8 Amps. Form 56J
I found the following as a direct replacement STS1152R The specs are all identical to mine except its rated for 9 Amps. Will that be ok? I could go a lot cheaper and just get a single speed pump UST1152. Its half the price of the dual speed, but I really like the dual speed mode. I use it a lot. Thoughts?

I plan to rebuilt the old motor once I pull it out and put new bearings in it . Is it worth it to rebuild the motors? It seems the bearings are pretty cheap.

I am confused as to what this means "1.5 - 1.25 hp Service Factor 1". What is the label HP and what is the SF?

A 1.5 HP SuperPump should have a label HP of 1.5 and SF of 1 which has a THP of 1.5. The replacement motor in a two speed would be a STS1102R.

The main label on the pump lists the HP as 1.5-1.25. There is another sticker on the pump which states HP as 1.5. The documentation for the pump states 1.5 hp OR 1.25 hp (ain't that confusing). The service factor is listed as 1. The form factor is 56J. Isn't the STS1102R a 56C?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.