intex hard plumb - pump to 1.5" pvc

GregN

Jun 18, 2015
Central NJ
Hello folks - I want hard plumb my intex 18' round x 52" AGP and use 1.5" pvc. I just upgraded to an intex 3,000 gph intex pump/sand filter. It appears that a standard 2" pvc female threaded to slip fitting will screw right onto the "out" port on the intex pump (see pics attached). I'm guessing the male threads of the pump and female threads of the 2" fitting would need a heavy dose of rector seal pipe sealant.

This fitting could then be followed by a 2" to 1.5" slip reducer and I'm off and running.

Is there any reason why the above approach wouldn't work? It seems like most folks are using the electrical box connector and threaded intex ring connection for this mod.
intex1.jpgintex2.jpg
Any and all thoughts appreciated; want to get this right the first time.

Thanks,
Greg

I learned from an expert here you use pipe glue exactly like you have there :) it should work no problem at all...

Well, for the same reason everyone else does: to get rid of the intex small diameter supply/return lines and the flow restricting plunger valves. A hard plumbed pool combined with the Hayward skimmer I installed last summer should allow for better water circulation and cleaner, easier to maintain pool IMO. I also plan on adding a second return about a foot off the bottom (my Intex only has one), and I might convert the existing intake to a vac port, and maybe even add a sprinkler. None of the above is required, but these mods may allow me to enjoy my pool a bit more.

- Greg

ohhh do i :)

here are the type connectors I used
Amazon.com: Custom Molded 21063-154-000 1.5 Garden

they will fit the skimmer, and suction/return thru wall fitting and mine also did the pump
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Hayward SP1023G Vinyl Fiberglass Inlet Fittings for Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

VluA1CKh.jpg

8FMxyP2h.jpg

GMigqNih.jpg

Used soldering iron to start hole
w6qRfpXh.jpg

GPTVPJ0h.jpg

moIbg37h.jpg

nyMiMIFh.jpg

hpiEij3h.jpg

Gt6kOcQh.jpg

Thanks for all of the info guys this is awesome... I'm installing my first AGP this week and the info is great.... Cowboycasey.. I notice you installed you skimmer on or above the thread line for the pool liner... did you recently install it or have you had it in for awhile? Most of what have read about the skimmer install is to keep it below the thread line of the liner which you obviously loose a couple inches of water... your thoughts..

I put it right before the line and the screws go through the white piece, we have 1 person that went above that line.. I did the install when no water was in the pool also

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Casper..I installed mine above the seam. With the water level 2" below top of skimmer, my water level in pool is just below first row of blue blocks. I would slow u pics but my pool isn't up yet. Try a search for Heyward above seam or weld.

I had to cut new holes for those fitting, well I guess you can say cut, I used a radio shack soldering iron :)

bGOzSnRh.jpg

I read that later and actually did that with my skimmer

Thank you greg and cowboycase... that brings up another question... I was told that the pool should be filled for at least a month before installing the skimmer so the liner can stretch. Does it really matter how long the pool in filled before installing?

I filled mine the day after I put the skimmer in, no issues at all, been filled with water over a year now

A month seems like overkill to me. I would think that a few days would be fine, especially if air temps are above 75. I would think that the vinyl would expand from heat, and the "force" of water in the pool, and reach equilibrium in just a couple of days. Obviously, the above are just my personal notions about vinyl pools. Maybe others will chime in to confirm or have other ideas.

Good luck,
Greg

Re: intex hard plumb - pump to 1.5" pvc

Thanks guys... got the pool set up yesterday and filled to the inlet holes... swg and sand filter will be installed along with the skimmer today... any expanding will be done after sitting in our warm southern California whether today

- - - Updated - - -

I just need to figure out the plumbing part... I want to hard plumb everything and include a couple ball valves

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.