any tricks to disolving granular stabilizer/conditioner?

I put mine in DH's socks and tie it off with a hair tie and manipulate it over the return til it's all gone. :mrgreen:

pairadocs said:
EskimoPie said:
Just dump it into the skimmer and let it go into the filter where it will dissolve at it's own pace.

i was worried that it would get trapped in the DE and dissolve too slowly.

thank you all for your responses and suggestions
This is how the instructions on the bottle of most brands of CYA read...to pour it slowly into the skimmer with pump running. I would run the pump 24/7 for the first 48 hours to speed the dissolving and don't clean the filter for a week. It can take up to a week for it all to dissolve no matter how you do it. Nature of the beast.

MikeInTN said:
Butterfly said:
I put mine in a sock and put it in the skimmer basket. I only add about 1# a day tho.

Ditto, 'cept I use a nylon knee high and tie it off so it's not sitting in the skimmer basket itself. I'm a'feared of it blocking the water iff'n it does that.

i did the nylonknee high trick, soaked overnight, and then checked it this am - not alot gone, but i managed to squish it for a few minutes and dissolved 90% of it into the skimmer. worked great.

thanks all

I took an old men's undershirt (though a skimmer sock or panty hose would likely work just as well) and put the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) on top of it in the skimmer basket and kept the pump running continuously on higher speed (48 GPM overall). I have floor drains as well as a skimmer and my skimmer also has a bypass pipe into the pool so it won't get damaged even if it gets clogged. The CYA dissolved overnight in less than 12 hours. My CYA readings showed at least 2/3rds or more of the expected amount (which at 30 ppm is within test error).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.