still dirty

May 15, 2013
Ct
I have my pool almost clear, its still cloudy but I can see the bottom. I am running the DE filter 24 hours. I have filter socks. I just vacuumed an hour or so ago and I am seeing debris on the bottom. The pump runs at about 15 psi. If I back wash, it goes down to about 11 then right back up. I just swept it to get the debris off the bottom so the filter can get it. The chemicals are all good. Will this just take time to get clean or am I missing something?

Thanks!

If your chemical levels are indeed in-line as noted on the TFP "Recommended Levels" chart (link below) and you tested with a TFP-recommended test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006), then it may in-fact just be a filtering issue. Would you like to post those test results for us to review?

Make sure that you backwash whenever your filter pressure reaches 14. DE filter clogs quickly whenever they are clearing algae (dead or alive). This means babysitting your pool at first. As time progresses, you will be able to go longer in between backwashes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What type of testing kit do you normally use?

I have the larger kit, sorry, dont remember but it was the kit recommended here, but the results are from Leslie pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure that you backwash whenever your filter pressure reaches 14. DE filter clogs quickly whenever they are clearing algae (dead or alive). This means babysitting your pool at first. As time progresses, you will be able to go longer in between backwashes.

Ok, thats what I thought. Now for the stupid question, add DE after every Back wash, right? One or two scoops? One of my Local pool shops said two?

It's very important you use your own test kit (TF-100). That's the best kit on the market (IMO) and the numbers revealed don't lie when accomplished correctly. The kit instructions are normally user-friendly, but sometimes pool owners get a little confused by the results. So if you ever have a problem using your test kit, just let us know and we'll help you. We'd rather do that then see you waste your time/gas at the pool store.

It's very important you use your own test kit (TF-100). That's the best kit on the market (IMO) and the numbers revealed don't lie when accomplished correctly. The kit instructions are normally user-friendly, but sometimes pool owners get a little confused by the results. So if you ever have a problem using your test kit, just let us know and we'll help you. We'd rather do that then see you waste your time/gas at the pool store.

I usually do use my own kit but I had to go there anyway so I figured id have them check. I didnt do the night chlorine check, but you guys said I was low anyway so Ill get more today and put it in.

Thanks !

Please post up a full set of results using your own test kit.

Here is an article on backwashing your DE filter and how much DE to add. Read this and ask any questions that you still have: Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Since your water is cloudy, your FC was too low and you are backwashing so often, I wouldn't bother with the OCLT. You should SLAM your pool. Read up on SLAMing here and post any questions you have. The key is to test and add chlorine several times a day at first... that is the Maintain part of the SLAM: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You have not yet passed a SLAM, and as others have said, your Chlorine level is too low for your CYA.

I suggest a SLAM, brush, and a couple good vacuumings. Ensure that you pass all three tests (OCLT, CC<=0.5, and Clear water), all the while testing with your TF-100. If the water does not clear up in a couple days, it may be a filter issue, but rule out low chlorine first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.