Built-in spa vs. Pool heater settings

I'm a brand new pool owner, so maybe this is a stupid question (or maybe the setup is stupid)? I've got a pool with a little built in spa that spills over into the pool. My heater (Raypak Gas) has separate temperature settings for both the pool and for the spa, but I don't really understand how it works. I've got a pipe in and a pipe out, so I assume it heats the water and then sends it back out in the single pipe. At that point the pipe splits off into a T joint with a jandy valve and back into either the pool, the spa or both depending on where the valve is...

So how the heck does it heat each separately?

I'm a brand new pool owner, so maybe this is a stupid question (or maybe the setup is stupid)? I've got a pool with a little built in spa that spills over into the pool. My heater (Raypak Gas) has separate temperature settings for both the pool and for the spa, but I don't really understand how it works. I've got a pipe in and a pipe out, so I assume it heats the water and then sends it back out in the single pipe. At that point the pipe splits off into a T joint with a jandy valve and back into either the pool, the spa or both depending on where the valve is...

So how the heck does it heat each separately?
It doesn't. I think those options somehow tie in with an automation system if you have one. When you switch the valves so it's all spa-in spa-out, you just use the pool setting and ignore the rest. The heater doesn't know where the water is coming from or going to.

:) Thanks. That's what I figured, but wasn't sure if some genius who built these fancy looking machines just knew something I didn't. I've discovered some other weird things with our pool setup, such as having a light but no actual switch for it... Seems to have to just be manually plugged in every time you use it. Why??

:) Thanks. That's what I figured, but wasn't sure if some genius who built these fancy looking machines just knew something I didn't. I've discovered some other weird things with our pool setup, such as having a light but no actual switch for it... Seems to have to just be manually plugged in every time you use it. Why??
Ignorance or contempt of the National Electric Code, possibly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.