First Time Pool Owner with Green Water, Help!!!

Hello, I'm new to all of this and I'm afraid I might have messed up my pool water. After filling up my pool and starting out with clear water, I did a water test and discovered my PH was at 7.2, AK over 250, and Chlorene 0. I knew I need to drastically bring down my AK level to around 80-100 so I was planning on buying muriatic acid to accomplish this. In the meantime, I believe I made the mistake of thinking that I needed to get chlorene in the pool right away, so I added 1/3 cup of HTH Ultimate Mineral Brilliance Chlorinating Granules to my water. I walked away for 5 minutes and came back to a pool full of green water :( Now, I'm very confused on where to go from here. I know I probably need to focus on bringing down my AK level first in hopes that this will clear up my water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

Are you filling from a well?

The MSDS for those granules don't show any copper in it, so luckily we can rule that out.

But if there's Iron in your well water, it's common for it to go green when Chlorine hits it. Worst case, it looks like coffee, with ground settling out.

Your pH is fine at 7.2 so don't add any acid now. TA is the very last thing you worry about.

With a fresh fill and the right pH already, all you need is some chlorine and some stabilizer aka Cyanuric Acid aka CYA.

Are you filling from a well?

I think any product with "Mineral" in the title might have copper or silver in it and you should avoid it like the plague. I just don't trust them.

As Richard said-this product doesn't list copper <whew!>

Have you used an algaecide lately?

Yes, we did fill the pool from a well because I was under the impression that the Intex Sand Filter Pump we added to the pool was powerful enough to filter the well water better than the cheap pump the pool came with. Should I drain the pool and go a different route?? Thanks so much!

Haven't tried any algaecide yet because I wasn't sure if I needed to have the other areas of my water in balance before adding algaecide? Should I continue running my pump overnight or shut it off for the night? By the way our pool size is 18X48 and holds around 6,000 gallons of water. Thanks so much for the help!

Yes, we did fill the pool from a well because I was under the impression that the Intex Sand Filter Pump we added to the pool was powerful enough to filter the well water better than the cheap pump the pool came with. Should I drain the pool and go a different route?? Thanks so much!
No. But what you want to do now is line the skimmer with paper towels or pillow stuffing. That'll catch a lot of rust. If that's not possible, keep your pH high and keep chlorinating and hopefully that stuff will precipitate out so you can vacuum it up and filter it out. And then backwash it away. Then you can adjust pH.

If it's just a mild discoloration, it might just fade away in a couple days.

Take that algaecide back and exchange it for a metal sequestrant. And take a look at Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.