So that's why my Stenner hose kept popping out!

JimboAZ

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 17, 2012
Maricopa, AZ
I noticed the hose popping out of my Stenner pump a couple times so I figured I should perform some maintenance. I cleaned out the internals, re-greased, replaced the pump tube, ferrules, etc.

After all that the hose still popped off so I figured it was pressure build up. Duh. So, I finally checked the injector connection.

fc37d046c47c31c86033384723e4a2e9.jpg

f52ca90c7396f7c59eee7e66201b7312.jpg

That'll do it!!

So is this the dreaded "white stuff" that some people with Liquidators have complained about?

It sure looks like it to me. When I was using my LQ, I solved the problem by getting TA around 70, then hitting it with 50ppm borates. Once I had the borates in, the white stuff went completely away. When I gave my LQ to a friend, he also had white stuff, and solved his problem the same way.

this "white stuff" you guys are talking about...is that a problem with the stenner too? I mean, obviously the tube can get salt buildup, but am I going to eventually start seeing white stuff in my pool and get sucked into the borate thing too?

Last edited:
this "white stuff" you guys are talking about...is that a problem with the stenner too? I mean, obviously the tube can get salt buildup, but am I going to eventually start seeing white stuff in my pool and get sucked into the borate thing too?
I thought this was just calcium since ours is pretty high. But, I did notice some white sediment in the bleach tank so I cleaned it out. I'll have to read up on this "white stuff."

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Can anyone clarify whether this white stuff is salt or calcium? And am I eventually going to get sucked into the borates thing to get rid of this "white stuff" no matter what method I use to inject or manually add liquid chlorine to my pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
camueller -- I don't think we've ever figured out exactly what the 'White Stuff' is. No matter though, even some people with very high CH don't have a problem and some people with low CH do. And, it's not a highly prevalent problem. JimboAZ is the first person using a Stenner pump to have it anywhere that bad.

You are not going to get sucked into the borate thing (unless you want to) because of 'White Stuff'. Even if you have it, it's not something you need borates to handle. AT worse case, you may need to clean things a little more often, but even at that, it's not a very regular issue.

camueller -- I don't think we've ever figured out exactly what the 'White Stuff' is. No matter though, even some people with very high CH don't have a problem and some people with low CH do. And, it's not a highly prevalent problem. JimboAZ is the first person using a Stenner pump to have it anywhere that bad.

You are not going to get sucked into the borate thing (unless you want to) because of 'White Stuff'. Even if you have it, it's not something you need borates to handle. AT worse case, you may need to clean things a little more often, but even at that, it's not a very regular issue.

Cool! Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to be setting up my Stenner this weekend, so I'll hope for the best. I plan to regularly pull the injector and check it, but we all know how plans go!

I don't think I've ever checked my injector, so it took about 3 years to completely close up. I will now regularly check it and clean it out before it becomes a big problem.

As far as other maintenance I've had to replace the phenolic gear several times due to water/rust in the pump and the tube maybe once a year. I need to work on a better cover besides the tiny Stenner cover.

I don't think I've ever checked my injector, so it took about 3 years to completely close up. I will now regularly check it and clean it out before it becomes a big problem.

As far as other maintenance I've had to replace the phenolic gear several times due to water/rust in the pump and the tube maybe once a year. I need to work on a better cover besides the tiny Stenner cover.

I appreciate that tidbit of advice. I was going to rely on the stenner rain hood alone, but I don't want to tear this thing and rebuild it all the time. I already have enough carburetors to rebuild around my shop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.