New Pool open for first rough weekend

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Okay, let me first say that I have been coming to this site for a couple years reading everything before we put in our pool. With everything I have learned I was ready to take this on. Construction started in early May, but luckily the pool was filled and ready to go just before this long weekend. The service company came on Thursday to start up the equipment, but I told them I would handle all the chemicals. Let me just say that I got a crash course in pool ownership in the last few days, but came out on top. We had very excessive heat on Friday and Saturday with temps in the mid 90s and high humidity. On Saturday we had a high amount of swimmers in the pool, with a few kids. Just also happens to be high pollen season here and all the trees are dropping their flowers and seeds. To top that off, we got 2 inches of rain this morning. Staying on top of all the elements has kept me going for sure. Glad to report that at least the rain this morning has taken care of all the tree flowering so I won't have to deal with those until next year. Here are my numbers as of 20mins ago.

FC: 6.0
CC: 0.0
TA: 110
CH: 230
CYA: 40
Salt: 3400

I know my CYA is low. With being so busy this weekend I have yet to have a chance to get more. However, my Amazon order will be here tomorrow so I will add it tomorrow night. FC may be a little high right now, but I am ok with that with all the junk falling from the trees and the rain this morning. I am still trying to find the sweet spot between filter runtime and percentage output on the salt cell. Not sure if I want to dial down to 20% or cut back a few hours. I will play with it over the next few days. I have the solar cover on now and its got a lot of water on it from the rain. My plan is to let the sun dry some of it out over the next few hours then take it off and vacuum. Skimmer socks have been my friend. I have been very good at checking them to make sure they are not clogging up. So thankful for everyone here! Can anyone think of anything I should do?

LOVE it! FUN and good times in a jewel of a pool :sun:

Now where is your PH test results?

I would also like you to do a search on heaters and CH. With you having a vinyl pool it should not be that big a deal BUT I THINK I remember something about heaters and CH. You can use the search box in the upper right hand side. Come back and teach me! LOL

Kim:cat:

LOVE it! FUN and good times in a jewel of a pool :sun:

Now where is your PH test results?

I would also like you to do a search on heaters and CH. With you having a vinyl pool it should not be that big a deal BUT I THINK I remember something about heaters and CH. You can use the search box in the upper right hand side. Come back and teach me! LOL

Kim:cat:

PH: 7.4

In regard to the hardness and heaters in vinyl pools. You basically want at least 100ppm in the water to prevent the risk of corrosion to parts in the heater. It goes without saying that too much hardness will cause scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.