How much bleach should i buy?

On my way to buy 10%. I've got a 20000 gallon IG gunite pool. How much do you think I will need for a 3 month season?? First year with a pool, ordering the test kit this week.

You want to be careful stockpiling bleach because it breaks down over time. You need to know the date codes of manufacturing (typically printed on the bottles or box). You might get 10% initially but, by the end of 3 months, it could have degraded down to 8% or less. Bleach should always be stored in a cool dry place (preferably indoors) as temperature exacerbates the degradation.

If the pool is green or cloudy, buy all your car will hold.

If the pool looks okay, figure you'll use about 3 gallons a week. That's 2 ppm/day in 20,000 gallons. So realistically, 10 gallons will keep you going about three weeks. But if it comes in 4 packs, buy 12 jugs. No more than that.

Memorial Day is typically a peak usage weekend for TFP. So you can expect some server delays or weird error messages. I just got one myself.

If possible, store an offline copy of the PoolMath webpage on a computer or tablet device so that you can use it even if your network goes down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm on the fence. I've got a bucket of 3" pucks from last year. I hate spending the money when I've already got the stuff at home. I know it raises CYA, I drain about 1/4 every winter and full back up in the spring. You think I can get away with pucks this year?

I'm on the fence. I've got a bucket of 3" pucks from last year. I hate spending the money when I've already got the stuff at home. I know it raises CYA, I drain about 1/4 every winter and full back up in the spring. You think I can get away with pucks this year?
That depends entirely on what the starting CYA is. Remember that as CYA climbs, so does the minimum FC level. So you may still end up needing to supplement the FC with bleach. Otherwise you add more FC with an extra puck, which adds more CYA which raises the minimum again, so you add more FC with an extra puck, which adds more CYA which raises the minimum again, so you add more FC with an extra puck, which adds more CYA which raises the minimum again, so you etc etc etc ad infinitum until you're posting in August that the pool is always cloudy or the green won't go away.

Pucks will last for years if the bucket stays closed. I use pucks to replace lost CYA from backwashing and also to chlorinate when I'm out of town for more than a couple days.

Besides adding FC and CYA, pucks are also very acidic. If you think you can juggle three parameters, go for it.

My CYA is 30 on the strip. Ch is 200. Fc is 1 ph is 7.2. Ta is 40
Test strips? :suspect:

I wouldn't add anything but bleach until you get a proper test kit.

You'd probably be just as accurate with your tests doing it like this
salt-water-gargling.jpg

Hahaha. I'm ordering the taylor kit you guys recommend on here. I feel like I could just dump a bunch of 100s in the pool instead of chemicals!!
Go the pool store route and you will!

The test kit is an investment. It will pay for itself two or three times over in the first year alone. Don't believe me? Ask him: another Added shock chlorine but sill, FC = 0 ?

I buy mine 3 cases at a time (12 bottles). It's enough to get you going if you need to spring into action, it's enough to share if the neighbor needs some. And if it isn't going as fast as I like it to go I use it in the bathrooms to clean the toilets and I'll scrub the coolers and outside chairs down.

Our pool sees a lot of action, we have a ton of trees and a huge planted field way out back so I go through it at a decent rate.

$2.99 is what I am paying for my 12.5% ~ it's a really good price for that strength in my area. We did just get a Rural King, I don't know if you have one of those near, but I hear everyone saying their prices are great in general and if I am not mistaken I believe I read here on the forum they have bleach priced nicely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.