5bucks

Jun 6, 2015
Quarryville/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm seeking opinions. Last year we installed a 27'above ground pool but didn't get to it's surround or landscaping. We are in the midst of installing a deck and CANNOT WAIT for this to be done. So I have the area right against the pool and the areas under the deck and walkway that will surround pool that I will be covering with stone (Who wants to mow under a deck?).

Any opinions on why we couldn't use heavy black plastic (which we have free access to) over the now weedy ground and slightly up the base of the pool on which to lay the stone? I figure it would kill what grass and weeds are there and be less susceptible to tears than landscape fabric...

I'll give you the best reason not to use plastic. Zika. Using plastic will create an unlimited breeding ground for mosquitos from the pooling of water and therefore the possibility of related diseases, not to mention unpleasant itching. http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html

If you use landscape fabric or plastic, over time either one will accumulate debris from grass clippings, leaves, etc. which will allow weeds to grow but that's just life. Fabric and several inches of rock would be my approach of that type. I used pachysandra under my deck which looks great.

Thank you for the responses. I see your point about the plastic. I do although feel I need some sort of barrier. Pachysandra not a bad idea ! Hadn't thought of groundcover opposed to stone....hmmm.

Thank you for the responses. I see your point about the plastic. I do although feel I need some sort of barrier. Pachysandra not a bad idea ! Hadn't thought of groundcover opposed to stone....hmmm.
Weed barrier is like that weird fabric they staple underneath box springs and sofas. Water will penetrate but supposedly weeds won't. I'd lay that down and then cover it with rocks to hold it in place and block UV from destroying it. They sell rolls of it and the U-shaped staples to secure it in the ground out in the garden section at Lowes and Home Depot and probably any other garden center.

That was my first option. We were thinking the heavy plastic would let nothing grow and kill anything underneath (plus it's free). May still toy with the idea of using it and making sure it's graded. We have to put drainage around the pool anyway due to it's location and runoff from the adjacent field during heavy rain. In the very least I may use it for the first foot or 2 around the pool to keep for easy maintenance in terms of weeds. All opinions and ideas welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.