New plaster feels granulated!

hughR

Jun 8, 2008
France
Last year the pool (inground concrete) was totally resurfaced with plaster (sprayed on after old had been scraped back and new applied about half-inch thick, then smoothed over to finish.) Now, 18 months later, it's possible to just rub your finger lightly over the surface (underwater) and tiny particles will float off - they feel like finely granulated sugar. The pool has never been emptied since it was relined and I'm not sure if this will be a serious problem, go away or whatever! (pH constant 7.4, bromine pool)

That may be normal for a new finish depending on how well you brushed the surface during curing. If it is not rough to the touch then is probably just plaster dust but post your test results just to be sure the water is not too aggressive.

Today the tests are:
Bromine 1.5
pH 7.4
Alk 60
CH 266

There is mild algae build-up on the walls which when brushed just slightly vanish - I shock usually about twice weekly because of the high UV factor and this clears algae. I was sold the idea of bromine by the dealer when he remade the lining. Never again and at the end of the season I'll empty and return to chlorine. I should have found this site earlier (but that's what they all say) :cry:

Given your battle with algae, it could be dead algae. It is sometimes white is color and fine grit texture but I'm not sure if that happens in a bromine pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.