FTHB house has above ground pool. Need help identifying ot

We are first-time buyers and our house came with an aboveground pool. We've never owned or cared for a pool before.

Unfortunately for us, it was closed when we bought the house. And we didn't have them open it (first time homebuyer mistake) . The pump was new last summer and the sand filter looks to be in good shape.

Here comes the trouble. Apparently they converted it to a saltwater pool. This has resulted in at least two thirds of the top rail resting severely and needing to be replaced.

Our plan is to convert it back to chlorine which we aren't sure what that will entail at this point, but either way the top rail needs to be replaced.

One of the problems is the sellers didn't know very much about the pool since it was installed prior to them owning the house since they only owned the house for 2 years.

I need help trying to identify the pool brand and model which is why am here so we can find the replacement top rail.

I know the pool is 16' x 30' x 48" deep oval.
There don't appear to be any brand identifiers that I can find around the outside of the pool. The Sections appear to be about 4 foot long and there are 20 of them around the pool edge.

Here are the pictures I took to try and narrow down the brand so hopefully you guys will have an idea.
Pool - Album on Imgur

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Hey there you FTHB'ers! Exciting buying a new house, isn't it?? Welcome to TFP

First off, let me explain to you that a salt water pool *is* a chlorine pool. It is just that instead of having to add chlorine daily, you have a device called a Salt Water Generator (SWG) that breaks salt down to its elements and chlorine is one of them. Sodium Hypochlorate=chlorine!!

Its a marvelous contraption that allows pools to actually have lower chlorine levels because of the constancy of the additions.

Your pool is gorgeous and looks very clean! I truly didn't see where you have rust. Can you add a photo of that please?

Perhaps INYO can help you? 5 Most Commonly Replaced Above Ground Pool Parts - INYOpools.com

just the top rails. i'm not sure that the salt caused the corrosion, i live on the water and my last pool's top rails survived the salt air. i've since built a new pool that came with plastic top rails. maybe you can replace with those? not a bank breaking repair at least.

I looked around the pool and the only other visible rust is there the cut out for the skimmer attaches. It doesn't appear to be as bad and not sure if I can lightly sand and protect it somehow.

My problem is identifying the pool maker and model so I can find the replacement top rails.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^ they have AWESOME CS! I bet you can talk to them and figure out a way to figure out what replacement parts you need. I am thinking measuring the current ones and matching bolt hole patterns.

Give them a shout and see what they say THEN come back here and teach us. Make sure to tell them TFP sent you. They are offering a discount to TFP supporting members now! How sweet is that???????? Here is the link about that:

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Kim:cat:

I took the top cap and rail off of one section and was able to get a part number from the cap. It appears I have a SeaSpray Allue 15x30 SEA-75-3838. http://www.continentalpoolandspa.net/sites/poolcorptest.millerdavisagency.com/files/Seaspray_0.pdf

The top ring under the rail, that holds the liner on I guess, appears to have some surface rust on it as well.

My question now is, is it worth replacing the entire rail along with all of the top ring hardware which appears to be $1600 for the parts from Inyo? Or should I just replace the top rail which is $960. Or knowing the pool is 8 years old, not spend approx 1/4-1/3 the cost of a new pool on repair and just see about getting a new one.
The ground work is already done as well as a good sand filter, AutoChlorinator and pump (new in 2015), so I'm not sure what an installed cost for the same size pool might run.
I am in Western Arkansas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will tell you that your new pool will not meet up to your deck JUST Like your old one :( Been there, DOING that.

Kim:cat:

This ^^^^
Also in the process of replacing a pool up against an existing deck. NOT impossible but definitely not a simple process.
If the rest of the pool is in good condition than I'd be more inclined to just replace what was rusted. Inyo pools is great St helping you find exactly what you'll need. Just email them some pictures of the pool and close up of the pieces in question. They got me a replacement bottom rail quoted really quick. It came in today!!

WOW..thats some serious cash for just the top rail. You can almost get a brand new AGP for that nowadays. If you are UP to the task..I'd remove the top rail..take it to a paint shop, have them sandblast the rails for you to remove old paint and rust..and then prime them, and repaint them with a matching color. Easy enough to do it yourself. Could save you some serious money too.

Just my two pennies
Dan

I imagine you could get all the pieces sand blasted for less than $200, and could do it yourself if you want to buy a simple sand blaster. then you could prime and paint them yourself..either with an low cost spray gun, or even plain ole rattle can spraypaints. They have come a long ways over the last few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.