New to opening "pristine blue" pool

ntatro

May 29, 2016
mechanicsville, MD
I just moved into a house with an above ground pool with the thick vinyl liner not the thin blue type. It is 16' X 24' rectangular. 3.5 feet in the low end and 5 feet deep in the deep end. I did the calculations and it is roughly 12000 gallons. It has a sand filter. Also I am on a well system. I think the old owner was using Pristine Blue products to maintain it. I opened it up for the season today and the water is green and somewhat cloudy. I took in a water sample to the pool store and here are the results:

Free chlorine: .09 ppm
Total chlorine: 0.18
Combined chlorine: 0.09
pH: 7
Hardness: 15
Alkalinity: 49
Cyanuric acid: 2
copper: 0.4
Iron: 0.1

The question is, do I have to continue to use the Pristine product or can I switch to regular pool chemicals? I am trying to figure out what steps I need to take to get the pool back clear and blue. I need to know where to start. I am new to working on pool and can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Norm

You are sort of in my neck of the woods... you can use anything you want. there is no reason not to change.

I just changed from pool chemicals to bleach... looks better than i can remember in the 2 years i have had it. and the numbers are still a bit off, but will take probably till next year to fix cause the CYA is high thanks to the pool store stuff...

Don't Pristine Blue products contain Copper?

If so-You may find that when you start adding chlorine to the pool that you see green water or stains appear. Do not panic if you do... we can help you manage this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.