On the Algae Struggle Bus

Aug 14, 2015
Okemos, MI
Please help!

I opened my pool this year with significantly more algae than years past due to some issues I had with my cover at the end of last season (long story). I have been trying to follow the processes on this site to get to a "Sparkling Oasis" but have not been able to make it the whole way. A couple of times, I have gotten close, but a green tint has been persistently returning. I am three weeks into this process, and starting to feel like it is not going to end!

The reason I am stumped is that I think my pool chemistry is relatively in balance, but there is no long term improvement. Here are today's numbers:

FC 9.5 (I had been trying to keep it around 10)
CC <0.5 (doesn't this mean that the algae is dead?)
pH 7.4
TA 250
CH 300
CYA 65

I've attached pictures. Any help or hope would be greatly appreciated!!

image2.JPGimage3.JPGimage1.JPG

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Yeah, you are a little murky. I think you are close but you need to SLAM your pool. With a CYA of 65, you need to take (with chlorine, not that ORP dispenser) your FC straight up[ to about 26 ppm and HOLD IT THERE WITH MANUAL ADDITIONS until your pool has cleared.

In other words, follow the SLAM article in Pool School to an absolute T and you'll be all set.

Then you can let the FC drift on down and begin to reuse the ORP if you want.

CC's of .5 ppm can mean different things but it doesn't guarantee you have cleared all the organics from your pool.

Which test kit are you using again? Are you sure of those results? That TA is wayyyyyyy high, and at that level I'd expect you to be fighting your pH as well as the cloudy water.

CH of 300 is high too, for a fiberglass pool. That wasn't just added was it- it can cause cloudiness sometimes.

SLAM should be at the level of your 70 CYA- so 28ppm is the proper SLAM level to maintain until clear.

Don't seem to have too much trouble with pH but I have an automatic monitoring system that adds muriatic acid as required. And I installed the pool in 2012, so it has been some time. And I am using the Taylor K-2006 test kit.

I raised the FC to 26+ and periodically added more to maintain that level, and it has cleared the pool up in less than 24 hours. I'm trying the overnight FC loss test tonight. Numbers at 11PM tonight are FC 27.0, CC <0.5. If I don't lose much FC overnight and the CC stays below 0.5, I should be good, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.