LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just started noticing my water is a little cloudy (noticeable when swimming underwater), especially after a pool party of more then 15 at the house yesterday and kids in it ALL day, at least 6-10 kids in swimming at ALL times....My first thought is raise my CYA level a bit along with my FC but now after reading a few posts I may need to SLAM it ?? Water looks clear from looking at it from above but when swimming under water it not as clear as last season, may try the DE in the sand filter as well, never did this method before? Any thoughts on my recent test results ?

PH- 7.8
CYA- 35-40
FC- 3-4 (on the low side)
TA-130 (a little higher then normal, usually runs 70-80)
CA- 40 (quite a bit lower then normal, have softened water as make-up now)

Pump run time is twice daily for 6-7 hrs with a few hours break in between and off overnight, chlorine injection metered each time the pool pump initially starts on its cycle. Injects for 40-50 minutes at full stroke of Stenner peristaltic pump.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations....

You don't list your CCs..... I'm sure you need to raise the FC of the pool to clear the pool after that party you had.

CYA has nothing to do with clearing your water up. It just acts to hold the chlorine.

You can perform an OCLT (OverNight Chlorine Loss Test) to see how you're doing, but you might also consider just raising the FC up to SLAM level and seeing if that clears things up from the party.

Otherwise you dont need to worry about CH in a vinyl pool. You can drop your pH a tad with MA and that will also help lower the TA.

You don't list your CCs..... I'm sure you need to raise the FC of the pool to clear the pool after that party you had.

CYA has nothing to do with clearing your water up. It just acts to hold the chlorine.

You can perform an OCLT (OverNight Chlorine Loss Test) to see how you're doing, but you might also consider just raising the FC up to SLAM level and seeing if that clears things up from the party.

Otherwise you dont need to worry about CH in a vinyl pool. You can drop your pH a tad with MA and that will also help lower the TA.

CC's were .5 as usual, I was referring to just raising the CYA up to 50 like I usually run it as well as increase the FC level a tad, may just bump it to SLAM level overnight like you mentioned and check it out in the morning.Yep, just got back from the store with MA and 10% Bleach to dose it up :)

Thanks Skippy

Well passed the over night test , with levels at shock level is it ok for swimmers today ??
Yes. It won't stay that high for long once people start bringing dirt and sunscreen and sweat and snot into the water.

You can brush and vacuum for days before a big gathering and raise the FC in advance, and the pool with still look awful at the end of the day. It even happens to us experts.

Reactions: KJB1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.