Pebbletec spa repair

Jun 6, 2007
DFW Area, TX
Any recommendations what to do with my spa?

1) There was a small crack in spa seat wall, which I patched with Rezolin white epoxy putty about 10 years ago and it worked pretty well. Now there is more damage and bigger leak. I wonder what should I do, what to use to patch it? More epoxy putty, Leslie's Patch-it cement, Quickrete Water-stop cement from Home Depot...?

2) Would it be possible and/or make sense to patch the crack (with the stuff you recommend above) and then plaster the whole wall, something like 1 ft from the bottom of the spa, over the Pebbletec? If it was all white / gray it would look acceptable.

3) In addition to the crack, there is this darker spot on the side, as you see in the picture. It has lost most of the surface pebbles, but what else is happening there? Is there water pushing through the wall from outside or why it gets moist/dark after every rain shower?

We are in the DFW area.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

spacrack1.jpg

Welcome to TFP :)

I wouls use exactly what you used before, 10 year working patch is great :) You can use some pigment dye in the epoxy to color it closer to the pebble..

As for the black patch, it kind of looks like water from the outside, you say it gets darker during rain?

I hope this helps :)

I wouls use exactly what you used before, 10 year working patch is great :) You can use some pigment dye in the epoxy to color it closer to the pebble..

I agree, sounds like the simplest solution. My only doubt is that if the epoxy stuff is the best choice for a larger patch, the first fix was quite much smaller.

As for the black patch, it kind of looks like water from the outside, you say it gets darker during rain?
Yes, at least after rain. If there is longer period of sunny weather, it doesn't turn black, but it could be simply because it stays dry in full sun. The pool itself is on that side, so my worry is that it comes from the pool. I don't know how rainwater would find its way there or what the groundwater level could.

We have a few cracks in our Pebblesheen and the PB fixed them with 2 part pool putty, he mixed black and white to get a shade of gray. First patch also leaked water and has lasted 4 years, second was last summer and did not leak. Both are holding up fine. Yes, most likely that is ground water pushing through. Maybe work on improved drainage in that area. The key to minimizing/stopping cracks in the pool is to maintain constant moisture levels. Both times our pool cracked was when the soil dried out and contracted from around the pool. We installed a micro irrigation system around the pool on a hose timer and it has worked great. Even soil moisture and no cracks.

I push this old posting of mine as I plan to follow up to the quick fixes done last year.

Is there any plaster or other coating that I could apply over larger areas of pebble tech in my spa or does the pebble tech need to be removed first?

In case I need to access the plumbing inside the spa walls, is it possible to remove the capstones and dig from there, or is jackhammering through gunite the only option?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.