pool newbie

May 16, 2009
I'm new to the TFP site after trying to get going on poolforum.net. My wife and I just signed a contract on a house with a pool (20 x 40, IG). I know practically nothing about a pool, but am very eager to learn.

I have done some research on the site, but not enough. I want to try the BBB method instead of spending my $$$ at the local pool store. Plus...I'm tighter than bark on a tree so the BBB method seems like it would save me some money. If anybody has any other cost saving tips they would be greatly appreciated.

In talking to people about a pool, I've gotten responses all over the board. Everything from "nightmare" to "within 2 years you'll be filling the pool in". Hearing all the negative comments has got me to thinking that it may be a lot of headaches. I'm an optimistic person at heart so I think that I'll be able to handle the "pool monster".

I met the guy that put in the pool the other day while he was there cleaning and testing the pool for the current owner of the house. He was trying to sell me on letting him come by once a week and service the pool for $25, plus I buy all the chemicals. He acted like that was a steal for him to do that! I told him that I would think about it. I don't know much about the system that is currently there, so I may have to get the pool guy to help with all the equipment. He said there was a "salt water system" on the pool at one time, but the people took it with them when the house was foreclosed on.

My wife had her concerns when I first mentioned the BBB method. We have a 19 month old little girl so she is concerned with the pool maintenance and this method.

With all this being said, are there any suggestions for a pool newbie? I saw the newsletter about the breakdown of the BBB method and I'm sure there's more out there. I will continue to research this site and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

If you actually swim it is more than worth the effort. Taking care of a pool can be a lot of work sometimes, but when I see my step daughter having fun in the water it is all worth it. There can be a lot to learn all at once, but as you get more familiar with your pool, it will take less time and feel much easier.

The most important thing is to get a good test kit. It will more than pay for it's self. Actually knowing what is going on in the water, instead of just guessing, makes all the difference.

As far as safety goes, the BBB method is as safe as is possible to be, if you actually take the time to keep up with it. If you ignore the pool and let the FC fall too low, you can be in trouble no matter what system you are using.

Welcome Rookie!

Read Pool School - it will tell you everything you need to know and then if you still have questions, we can help.

Chances are then that your pool has salt, and quite a bit of it. You might like the automation of the SWG and consider replacing the unit they took with them, if you can afford the initial expense, SWGs are wonderful.

Your wife should have no worries. Bleach is sodium hypochlorite which is chlorine. There are various forms of chlorine, but they all have one thing in common, they are chlorine. :wink: :mrgreen:

I don't think you're friend's $25 a week is a good deal at all. Tell him you'll pass, by the time you are done here you can maintain your pool for a fraction of that.

People who want to fill in their pools with dirt are frustrated becuase they've been Pool Stored and followed the advice of the pool stealers one too many times.

By joining TFP - you are already one step ahead of the game. :goodjob:

Now off to Pool School for you, in the meantime, order one of the recommended test kits, either the TF100 or the Taylor K-2006. No other kit will do. :goodjob:

Thanks for the quick responses! The salt water system was removed when the house was foreclosed in Feb. of 2008. The people we're buying the house from repaired everything to new. I don't know what kind of pool system it is, but the pool guy says everything works great.

I will continue to research the site, and try to soak up as much as possible. My wife and I can't wait to get into the house and enjoy the pool. Seeing my daughter enjoy the pool will more than justify the extra work.

One last question....has anybody ever heard of or had any experience with a "floatron". I had a guy tell me that it was the best investment he ever made with his pool. Just google "floatron" and read the reviews. It seems to be a way to reduce the constant attention a pool needs. Just a thought.

Thanks again!

pool rookie said:
Thanks for the quick responses! The salt water system was removed when the house was foreclosed in Feb. of 2008. The people we're buying the house from repaired everything to new. I don't know what kind of pool system it is, but the pool guy says everything works great.

I will continue to research the site, and try to soak up as much as possible. My wife and I can't wait to get into the house and enjoy the pool. Seeing my daughter enjoy the pool will more than justify the extra work.

One last question....has anybody ever heard of or had any experience with a "floatron". I had a guy tell me that it was the best investment he ever made with his pool. Just google "floatron" and read the reviews. It seems to be a way to reduce the constant attention a pool needs. Just a thought.

Thanks again!

Unless they completely drained the water and started fresh, the salt is still there, so have the water tested for salt.

Skip the floatron- waste of money. Floatron is a mineral ionzer, read about them here.

The best investment is a good test kit, and probably if the salt is still there, in your case, would be an SWG. :wink:

I know nothing about salt water generators but have had two pools...one was an existing gunite pool at our previous house and we just had our second gunite pool built in our current house. I've used BBB method for both pools and it is for sure the way to go. I can only hope that you bought a house with a pool because that is a feature that you really wanted. I went my whole life wanting a pool and was sad to have finally gotten one only to sell the house after a few years and move into a house with no pool. (But I'm happy now!)

Pools are not a lot of work as long as you commit a little bit of time to them a couple times each week. If you don't have a lot of trees around the pool, shouldn't be much work at all. Test the water, add bleach 2 or 3 times a week, adjust ph when needed, clean out skimmers...maybe an hour a week total. If you keep the pool open year round, it's a little harder keeping the pool clean in the off season because there are lots of leaves blowing around and it's easier to lose the motivation to go messing around in the water a few times each week when its cold outside. But in my mind, there are few things prettier than a sparkling pool so its worth the effort.

Bottom line, the BBB method works. Get an opinion from a chemist if you must but you can trust the folks on this board...we are experienced owners and can attest to the fact that it's an easy and relatively inexpensive way to maintain your water chemistry. Do not buy the additives that they'll try to sell you at the pool store. By reading what you have already on this site and getting comfortable with testing and understanding how your water chemistry cycles, you'll know a lot more than some kid in a pool store and how to keep your water clean and sparkling. Never has either of my pools gone green.

When it comes to pool maintenance, the water chemistry part is about the easiest.

I agree with everything stated so far. I've had a pool for about 9 years now. The first 1 or 2 were OK since I didn't have a clue what I was doing and the builder put in a FROG. The pool store sold me lots and lots of Crud I didn't need like algaecide and clarifiers, and....took a lot out of my wallet. By year 3 I started to have lots of problems and continued to waste a lot of money on stupid things like the Floatron. It is worthless for a pool owner but great for the manufacturer. Which of course brings us to the Frog. Convenient? Sure but if no one has ever explained what CYA is and how it affects chlorine and how you can't just set the dial at a level and expect to use a minimum of chlorine. If no one explains the difference between free chlorine and combined chlorine how can you expect to have a clear pool with minimal issues and minimal chlorine? Having battled cancer during this whole time I also started worrying about swimming in chlorine. Again no one ever tells you, excepts the experts here, that it is the CC that is the problem not the free chlorine or what you really need to properly sanitize your pool. I explored all sorts of alternative sanitizers and had a green pool one entire summer. Last year I finally had had enough and found this site. What a wonderful experience last year became. A clear and clean pool all summer long and I spent about 1/4 the amount of money, at the most, than I had previously spent. The only chemicals I now use are chlorine and acid. If I spend an hour a week on pool maintenance that is it. I do have a robotic cleaner so that helps a great deal. Tell your wife not to worry about a properly maintained BBB pool it is the safest pool that there is. Read the Pool School and you'll have an enjoyable time with your pool and family relaxing next to a sparkling body of water with island music and umbrella drinks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.