A few problems with an aging pool

Jul 10, 2015
MA, USA
Hello all,

I have an in ground vinyl lined pool with a DE filter. The filter runs fine (about 17 PSI which has been about my norm), the water is clear, and I can vacuum it just fine.

However, one thing I noticed last season is that from one of my jets (the farthest one from the filter) blows sand into the pool during the first, say 5 seconds when the filter is being turned on.

I don't think there's a leak otherwise my pressure would be low. Any ideas what this might be?

Hi everyone,

I live in MA and have an in-ground, vinyl lined, DE filtered pool that was just opened recently. It is aging and over the years I've been having problems with it. My most recent problem is when I run the filter, the water level drains fairly quickly (within 20-30min it is below the skimmer basket and cannot run) even with a hose in the pool. I also see dirt coming out of one of the jets (just one) when the filter first turns on - I'm not sure if that is related. I have a few questions about this.

1.) I see no visible external leaks (aside from a few small lines of water in 2 places near some hose clamps). Could the problem be the jet blowing dirt in the pool or something buried in the ground?

2.) How would someone go about finding leaks, either me or someone I hire?

3.) Would they have to dig up the paved area around the pool to get to the jet? There is some stone on top of it.

4.) Is there anything else that might cause either of these problems?

I have been fortunate enough so far not to have to track down a leak. Leak detection companies have a number of tools for leak detection that are not invasive even under concrete slabs. Sometimes people are able to find leaks by letting the pool leak down and when it stops the leak will be at the water level. Here is an article on tracking down leaks from Pool School - Leak Detection

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.