Bronze Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have the TF100 testing kit. It does not have a test for salt level.

I'd like to add salt to the pool to increase the "softness" of the water.

I was thinking about taking water samples to two pool stores to get the average, finding the mean and then adding the appropriate level of pool salt to the pool.

I have two questions. First, does this seem reasonable? Second, after adding salt this swimming season does the level of salt decrease, increase or stay steady with time?

Good post, good questions.

Most people "feel" that about 1800 salt is very nice but some report no difference....it's subtle. More doesn't seem to help.

Pool Stores are rotten about all testing but your plan is not a bad one.....averaging them out is important.

Salt generally increases in all pools but is completely harmless and virtually never rises to the point of any interference with your pool water management.

Does the salt level generally increase due to the evaporation of water while leaving the salt and other minerals behind? That's what I would assume but I am not positive.

Thanks for your answer!

I don't know how long it takes you to bring water samples to two pool stores or how you value your time and travel expenses - but are you actually saving anything on doing this instead of getting a reliable salt test ?

Test strips
are only $14 at TFtestkits.

They also have a drop test for $27. That's what I use.

---

The salt concentration increases when water evaporates from your pool. It reduces when it rains and when you add water to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.