no CYA, is that OK?

Mar 30, 2008
Delaware
had Leslie's test my pool water last night while i bought a new pool cleaner. i'm BBB, and test at home, except for CYA.

they said i have NO CYA. I expected that, since i don't use pucks.

but now i'm left wondering, do i need a little CYA? or is it pointless to have any at all?

thanks

In an outdoor pool it is important to have some CYA. With CYA at zero you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each day. It is important to maintain some FC level all the time, which can't be done without CYA.

You should add CYA/stabilizer/conditioner to raise your CYA level up to around 30 to 50.

"Conditioner" or "stabilizer" it's all the same stuff. The only difference seems to be granulated versus liquid. The granulated stuff can take a long time (a week?) to dissolve; most people seem to dump it into a sock and put the sock in the skimmer basket or hang it in front of a return. Liquid is more expensive but obviously is pre-dissolved so it takes effect right away.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.