Spa draining when pool is on.

May 29, 2016
Yucaipa, CA
I had a party yesterday and everything was working fine. The pool pump was on all day. My wife turned on the spa and last night, one of the parents came inside and told me the spa had drained. This morning I filled the spa about half way with a bucket and turned on the pump. The spa drained fairly quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 21
Typically you have three way valves so you can choose to draw from pool or spa and return to pool or spa or some fraction of each. In spa mode, you should be drawing only from spa and returning only to spa, thus you heat only the spa, not the whole pool. It sounds like the return side valve didn't move to return the water to the spa although it was drawing from it, or it was working fine but when it went back to pool mode, the valve to the spa drain didn't close. So you emptied the spa into the pool.

If you didn't have automation and electric motors, it would be easy to find and fix. I haven't got a clue about all the electrical stuff for that, but usually there's so way to disengage the electric from the valve and manually turn the levers. If memory serves, it's a matter of pulling up on the handle, but don't quote me on that.

Your picture doesn't show everything clearly, but I imagine if you crawl around and study the handle positions, you'll be able to figure out which one is in the wrong spot.

You'll need to go to the automation panel and switch between POOL mode and SPA mode to see if the three way valves are rotating properly. The valve actuators have toggle switches on them that set their position. You mentioned a party, did any of the kids or adults get back to the equipment pad and mess with anything? All it takes is a flip of the manual switches to mess up the valve automation.

just guessing but that bottom valve behind the grey conduit, I would swap the direction on that one opposite what it is. typically they left side is pool, right side spa. looks like its drawing from the spa and pumping into the pool?? maybe swap the top electronic actuator. ensure its in pool mode, maybe the actuators are inop

brett

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.