price range of a cell??

Pogo

May 8, 2009
I'm considering going to a swg type system from a cartridge filter system. I'm having to replace filters about yearly at $125 abouts, a pop. I was reading about the swg in the Pool School and noted the "cels" had to be replaced every few years... What is the average price range- ball park- of those, please.

Re: price range of a cel??

SWG is not a filter, you will still need to have a filter
SWG produces chlorine, which means you don't have to add it manually.
as far as cells go it depends on manufacturer and particular model of the cell

Replacement cells for in-ground SWGs are running around $300 to $800 right now. These prices are way up from last year because the precious metals that go into the cell have gone up in price dramatically. It is likely that they will come back down somewhat over the next few years.

"SWG is not a filter, you will still need to have a filter
SWG produces chlorine, which means you don't have to add it manually."

I got you, the sand filter would be the filter, the swg, the chlorinater.. That right?
I never bank on prices going down, at least not to anything like pre-rise levels.
That being the case, is it a financially sound investment over just pouring in bleach?

"How are you caring for your cart filters? With proper maintenance they should last several years. My first cart lasted 5 years and this is my 3rd season with the replacement."
Once a season, the beginning usually, I use a commercial filter cleaner. Otherwise I just blast it out with the ole water hose. Takes about 20 minutes to get it to suit me.
One thing, I'm told the filter is too small for the job.

Pogo said:
"SWG is not a filter, you will still need to have a filter
SWG produces chlorine, which means you don't have to add it manually."

I got you, the sand filter would be the filter, the swg, the chlorinater.. That right?
I never bank on prices going down, at least not to anything like pre-rise levels.
That being the case, is it a financially sound investment over just pouring in bleach?

1. Correct.
2. It will depend on your particular case. In most cases it is, however you should calculate for yourself as it is highly dependent on what SWG you buy and how much chlorine you currently use. You can use following calculator to help you: http://www.tdconsulting.com.au/bleach1.php

Okay then, what size cart filter is it? It might be better to just upgrade the size of the filter, keep the existing pump, and continue with bleach. I personally think cart filters are the way to go, but I'm biased. :wink: :mrgreen: AGain, your cart should not have to be replaced each year, undersized or not.

An SWG is an initial expense up front, but then no bleach costs (assuming no algae blooms). People are paying for the automation of chlorine additions. If I were you, I would use the money an SWG would cost on your backyard oasis plans. :wink: :goodjob:

People are responding because they think you want to replace the cell in an existing SWG. You are looking for estimates on a SWG unit, new in its entirety. I think we are talking around $800 minimum for an inground unit? I could be wrong.

A cartridge filter makes water balance much easier with a SWG since with no backwashing the salt and CYA levels stay more constant. However, you want to make sure the cart is NOT undersized, which was often the case with older installs.

waterbear said:
A cartridge filter makes water balance much easier with a SWG since with no backwashing the salt and CYA levels stay more constant. However, you want to make sure the cart is NOT undersized, which was often the case with older installs.

For the record, I hate that cartridge and am heartily sick of it. I spend 20-30 minutes on it but still don't feel its clean. But, to consider being practical...

I don't understand all that data on the cart case side but it's a Hayward C-1200 cartridge if that tells y'all anything, or, tell me which datum you need and I 'll go get it. And yes, this is an older installation.

After talking to my wife, it appears the carts are lasting maybe 2-3 years. They cost like $125+ each!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pogo, a cart is never going to look new again once it's been used. And slightly "dirty" carts actually filter better than a brand new one.

And just for comparison sakes, try cleaning the sand out of a sand filter or check out this pic
http://www.troublefreepool.com/post91370.html#p91370
of a DE filter pre-cleaning....

and then you might not mind your cart so much. :wink:

Hi Mod,

Thanks for the comment. Part of my problem is, that even after I clean it a few times, with only the garden hose, I can hardly get any water flow through the thing. So, I'm faced with the choice of buying another or heading for the car wash.

What I think I need to do is. as someone else suggested, check my cartridge size for my pool requirements. That is probably best done in a new topic.

Thank you, and all others much!

You should try soaking the cartridge in automatic dish washing detergent overnight. Use one cup of detergent for every 5 gallons of water. Remember to rinse the cartridge off before putting it back in the filter. That should make a dramatic difference.

waterbear said:
waterbear said:
IF you had read the thread I posted previously you would have known about soaking the cart and a few other tricks also.
As for the tips in that link, I have tried all except the dish soap and acid wash with no particular advantage. I'm sorry you thought I hadn't bothered to read it. I have also been very busy so cannot say what thought connected to prompt a reply when any one thing got read.
What's more, if you'll see below, it may all be irrelevant due to an entirely different source of the problem...

At best, on average my water flow chokes off in just a few days. Another reply in another related topic allowed it should be good for a month! I can't imagine... In fact, the pressure gage generally read 'high' (before it got broken) even immediately after cleaning.

But in discussing this problem in another topic, I hit upon the likely cause of the problem. I had noticed many pools seem to have a water return below the surface. My only return is through the skimmer basket. That means it's constantly drawing in all the crud into the filter designed to catch even the minutest particles. I tried putting a screen on it but that had to be cleaned so often I gave it up. I suspect this, and not cleaning methods, is the root of my problem.

Since this thread is veering far from the original intent, if any care to reply to this new thought, please do so on this topic... cartridge-filter-problems-new-idea-as-to-source-t12680.html

Thanks all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.