Help: Cannot detect leak

Jun 6, 2015
Cedar Run NJ
Hello All, I can use some help troubleshooting air problem:
my setup is as follows
Hayward DE 3260 filter with a 1.5 pump
1 skimmer,main drain,2 returns,2 spa jets,waterfall and slide.
problem: while filtering both jets and spa jets are producing bubbles and a "blub blub" sound, I checked all connections, changed all gaskets and o rings and see no leaks. My pressure is at 13 psi when running skimmer and returns and spa jets, if I shut spa jets it jumps to 20 and if I run one jet to 30. If I run all plus slide and waterfall it will hold at 13. Any troubleshooting tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance
Yankees

is this only happening in the spa, some spa's have an air pump that add's air into the system

If it is in the pool also then you have a suction side leak.. Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

when you bleed air out of the top of the filter does it stop the air coming out of the jets? does it come back?

I hope this helps :)

Cowboy, it bubbles from spa and both jets, when I release air from top of tank I can run at same pressure while water runs thru. The blub is loudest from spa but also noticeable from returns. I have tried everything with no success.

thank you for replying

The pressure differences with various returns closed off sound about right.

If you had a pressure side leak, you'd
1) Have water squirting out not air getting in
2) Be losing water

So that's out. That leaves a suction side air leak.
If it was below the water level you'd be losing water. If you're not, then the leak has to be above ground.

So you are looking for a suction side air leak above ground. It could be as simple as a vortex in a skimmer caused by low water or a sticking skimmer weir. Pull the skimmer lid while it's blubbing and look inside. Do you see a whirlpool?

Then break out a can of shaving cream and start where the pipes come up out of the ground and coat all the glue joints one at a time with the foam. If the noise stops, you'll likely see foaming in the pump basket and maybe coming out the returns and you'll have located the leak. Then start working on any three-way valves- yes, they can leak at the shaft seal below the handle. Around the pump lid and drain plug. It doesn't have to be very big with the suction a pool pump can create. Try sipping coke through a straw with a pinhole in it above the drink level. Same thing.

Thank You Richard, I am armed with shaving cream and ready for testing but I have a "stupid" question before I start.
would a clogged impeller cause the problem described?

thanks again
A clogged impeller would cause low pressure issues. Your pressures sound normal but only you know what's normal for your system. A clogged impeller wouldn't introduce air into the filter. It wouldn't introduce much water, either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.