Low PH

chili

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2008
Hey guys,
Got the pool opened and added a SWG. I read thru the pool school for balancing the water for a swg and am trying to do the steps in order. My CYA was 0 (Although last year it was too high so I dont know where it all went)

So over the last couple of days I have added CYA and alkalinity up and turned up the swg and my current readings are

pH - 7.2
TA - 80
FC - 5
TC - 5
CH - 80
CYA - I added 6lbs so it should be around 40 but I just added it 2 days ago

Will my ph go up because of the swg or do i need to add borax and...
how do I raise the ph without raising the TA

TIA
Kevin

It will likely go up on it's own. To raise PH on it's own, you aerate the water. The SWG should achieve this for you.

How are you testing? Which kit? The FC=5 has me suspicious... :wink:

Assume the CYA is in there, and chlorinate your pool according to the chart, using liquid chlorine. You do not want to use the SWG until the CYA is at the recommended level of 70-80. Once the SWG is operating properly, use the recommended FC levels for SWGs instead. :goodjob:

Thanks for the quick reply
I am using the TF-100

Should I turn the SWG all the way back down until I get the CYA up?
It will take a week or so to get an accurate CYA reading after adding it Is that correct??

Hi Guys,
Happy Memorial Day!! and
Thank You to all of the veterans!!

Well I got my CYA up but the ph and TA seemed to have dropped. My current levels are

FC 6 ppm
PH 7
TA 60
CH 80
CYA 60 although it may not be completley dissolved , I added it on Wed and have been running the pump 24/7
Salt 3500 ppm

I pointed the jets upward to try and aerate but the water is just barely breaking the surface, I turned off my swg after my last post but will turn it back on now that the cya is higher. The pool is crystal clear, am just worried about the ph.

My questions are
1) could my TA have dropped 20ppm in less than 2 weeks?
2) Will running my swg raise the ph enough by itself or do I need to do something else?

If you raised your pH by turning your return up to break the surface, you outgassed the TA therefore the TA dropped a bit. To raise your pH, add Borax 20 Mule Team in the laundry isle. To raise your TA, you can add A&H Baking Soda. To do both at the same time, you can add A&H washing soda.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.