Extremely High Phosphates and High Calcium Hardness algae on its way!!!

Mar 31, 2013
TN
Out of curiosity yesterday I took a sample to the pool store to get tested. I wanted to compare my test results to theirs just for funzies. Below are both results, see what you guys would advise. I have a plan in mind after all the reading on the forum about phosphates and CH but I value your opinion. BTW, I have used the TFP method since putting my pool in 4 years ago and have always had good clear water with one instance of pre algae bloom that bout drove me crazy but I got it under control.

My test:
FC - 5
CC -.5
Salt - 3600
CH - 50
CYA - 50
TA - 50
pH - 7.5

Their Test: Their Range

5 -------------- 1-4 ppm
0 -------------- .2 difference
3200 ---------- 2500-3500 ppm
110 ----------- 200-400 ppm
40 ------------ 60-99 ppm
120 ----------- 80-120 ppm
7.6 ----------- 7.2-7.8

Thanks for all the help!

I'm sorry Tim5055, my pool water is crystal clear and has been since opening a couple weeks ago. I was just asking the group if the pool store gave you these results what would you do? They said I needed to add 77 lbs of Soda Ash, 10lbs CYA, and 6 quarts of PHOSFree.

My plan is to keep doing what I am doing but i thought about raising the TA slightly. Would you leave the CH alone?

I wouldn't change a thing.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

How stable has your pH been? TA has a lot to do,with pH stability. We find that many pools like lower TA, mine like 50 or my pH rises quickly.

Pool stores like to chase magic numbers. They give you a goal then continuously sell you stuff to attempt to,hit the bullseye. Why, well because they sell stuff. They want you uncomfortable thinking that if you don't get to their magic number bad things happen.

You don't need a plan, you seem to have it going fine. Go swimming.....

My pH was 8+ when I opened. I added some muratic acid and got it down. I was pleased with my numbers and did not think I needed to changed anything. Just checking with the experts to see what yall would do? I'm kinda anal about my pool water, wished I wasn't but I am.

If you are truly dedicated to keeping your pool water managed properly, please stay out of the pool store....period.

What are you gaining? They cannot test your water as you can and they don't care like you do.

Your comparing your first rate results with sketchy ideas and tests at the pool store.

I see this common post all the time....it's always for giggles and grins and funzies but when do the giggles start? I guess we are not teaching hard enough or well enough that the information you receive here at TFP and the Way we teach you to test is the best you can get.

It sounds like you do not have confidence in your test results and that should be the last of your worries. Things are working well for you but getting advice or test from the pool store will likely "muddy the water" (pun intended) and you'll start buying a bunch of unknown chemistry and tossing it in your pool just because the "pool store" told you to.

Stay out of the Pool Store
Trust your own testing....it's the best
Have confidence in what you are doing.....your results are proof enough. :goodjob::goodjob:

duraleigh, the reason I took a sample to the store was because I was going there to buy a new brush and basket for my cleaning pole otherwise I wouldn't even look their way. The thought of doing what they recommend doesn't even cross my mind. I must admit I was curious as to what they would read the pH level. I have some difficultly distinguishing the colors on the scale.

As the guy was going over my results with me I was just shaking my head. My wife (who does nothing with balancing the water) and I rode the motorcycle to the store and when we left she said we better go back and in the truck and get those chemicals he said and put them in today. I told her there was no way I was doing anything he said. We got home and I pulled up some threads and let her read some comments. She told me she didn't understand all the pool talk but whatever I was doing keep doing it because we have never had anything but crystal clear water.

Others ask me about my pool and what I have to do to keep the water clear and I tell them about this site. To my knowledge I am the only one around here that uses this method. Some have watched me test and say that it is too much trouble. They are some of the ones that have the most trouble with their pool because all they know is what the pool store says.

Thanks for all the help this site gives!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.