Raypak R4350ti-E 85,000 BTU Titanium Digital Heat Pump opinions

May 27, 2016
New Jersey
I'm looking to purchase a heat pump for my pool within the next month. I'm on a tight budget and I don't want to spend more than $2,500 on the heater. I live in northern New Jersey and I'm only looking to heat the pool during summer months (June-August). I have a 16x32 20,000 gallon in ground pool. The pool currently has solar panels installed on the roof to heat the water. After I install the heat pump, the solar panels will only be used to help maintain the temperature the heat pump brings the temperature to (the solar panels only get about 5 hours of sun a day). I have narrowed down my search between the Raypak R4350ti 85,000 BTU heat pump and the Pentair UltraTemp 70 75,000 BTU heat pump. The Raypak heat pump has a higher BTU rating and is about $300.00-$400.00 cheaper than the Pentair unit. Does anyone on here have experience with the Raypak heat pumps? I wan't to make sure the unit is reliable before I spend $2,000 on it.

Thanks!

Heat pumps are ideal for maintaining, gas heaters are better suited to getting up to temp. If you have solar panels then stick with a gas heater. Lower initial cost, quicker heating. Don't forget, heat pump efficiency drops as the ambient temperature drops. You won't likely be dipping in the pool when it's 55 degrees out but nighttime temps can get low even in the summer and a gas heater will get it toasty by dawn regardless of overnight temp. But hey, this is just my opinion.

@Geebot, I considered a gas heater, however, I want something that will help maintain the temperature in the pool that won't cost a lot to run. Based on my research, heat pumps offer about 60-80% energy savings as compared to gas heaters.

@danpik, According to what I've found online, a heat pump should be sized 4 BTU's per every gallon of water. So 4 x 20,000= 80,000 BTU's. Based on what I've read, the heat pump should raise the water temperature about a degree every hour.

@Geebot, I considered a gas heater, however, I want something that will help maintain the temperature in the pool that won't cost a lot to run. Based on my research, heat pumps offer about 60-80% energy savings as compared to gas heaters.

@danpik, According to what I've found online, a heat pump should be sized 4 BTU's per every gallon of water. So 4 x 20,000= 80,000 BTU's. Based on what I've read, the heat pump should raise the water temperature about a degree every hour.

The time to heat is very dependent on ambient temperature, I think your estimate is too high, danpik's is closer to real-world conditions, about 1/2 degree per hour for 80-degree ambient temp. And again, if overnight temperatures drop the unit may shut down completely.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.