Where to buy a liner without a border and vinyl vs ICF?

May 11, 2014
Iowa
Hi :cool:

I've been lurking for a couple of years and have enjoyed my time here.

I've finally put enough pressure on my husband to begin a pool build. I have a couple of questions regarding liners and insulation.

Since I've been waiting for a while, I just want to get the pool done! We finally have the cash and I'm ready to go. At this point, I would be happy with an in ground vinyl pool kit (we live in the midwest). My husband would like to build an ICF pool with a vinyl liner.

I'm wondering what the difference in temperature would be with an ICF pool. Would the foam make a substantial difference? Also, if we do have our own ICF design, where could we get borderless liner to fit? I remember seeing the pool by Mr. Wolfe that had the beautiful gold pebble liner, but I can't find it online.

Any info is appreciated!

Daisy

Also, to add to the above, I found that some pool sellers will advertise one (more expensive) alternative over the other saying that they are warmer. For instance, when we bought our steel pool, the salesman has a display setup in the showroom showing each wall. It is setup so you can touch the composite wall and the steel wall and see how cold the steel wall is. This is their way of selling you the (much) more expensive option. The fact is almost all heat is lost from the top of the water. A cheap solar cover will do better than fiberglass, plastic, etc. vs. steel.

Mr. Wolfe

I was posting from my phone and I didn't quote:(

To Divin Dave-
Thanks!! Duraleigh wasn't a fan of the foam either. Now I have several comments that I can show my husband. He is difficult to convince when he has his mind set on something, so the more "proof" I have the sooner we can start.

To Mr. Wolfe-
Thanks for clarifying that becauae I know that would be his next idea: to skip the steel and order the more expensive:(

To allinspector-
I would love to do concrete like Duraleigh's but our season is short (we live on the Nebraska/Iowa border) and the location would be difficult to get a lot of equipment to.

To JamieP-

ICF is insulated concrete forms. They go together like Legos and then you pour concrete into the gap between the 2 foam side. They use it a lot to build foundations for houses and we live close to a manufacturer. There are several ICF websites that say it's great for pools, but they dont give any details:( I've also have only found a couple of people who have actually made them. We have built a lot of things, but never a pool. I think directions and support would come in handy, that's why a kit is looking like the easiest and most detailed.

Mr. Wolfe,
Do you have pictures of the gold pebble? I am considering it or the tan or grey mosaic... but my pool will only be 14 x 32 and i am afraid it won't be big enough to get the "aqua" effect (also only going to 5.5', so not that deep). Any suggestions or pics would be appreciated. Im also around Pittsburgh. :)

Hi Daisy,

My liner is Kafko Gold Pebble. I ordered it without the border. If you have any questions, ask away here or send me a message.

Mr. Wolfe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.