New pool and I'm clueless

Mar 18, 2016
Blackwood/NJ
So, Filled up new pool, builder sends out their start up guy, who really appeared to be winging it. My TF100 is on order, but they gave me test strips. They dumped eight 40lb bags of salt in, turned on pump, added DE, gave me a quick course on the pump functions, and left. After running the pump for 10 hours straight, the pool looks crystal clear, I used the test strips and came up with the following:

Free Chlorine-0
Bromine-0
ph-7.8 (ok)
Total Akalinity-80-100 (ok)
Stabilizer-30-50 (ideal)

Unfortunately, until my kit comes in, I am unsure if I have enough salt which I assume is necessary for the generator to convert it to chlorine or if other levels are good. In the meantime, do I shock it to get chlorine up? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks.

I would suggest you get into the PoolMath application found up top and use it to tell you how much liquid chlorine (plain old household bleach) and bring it up to about 4ppm (treating it as if it wasnt a SWG pool yet) and maintain that until the test kit comes and you can confirm how much CYA you have as well as everything else. Do it pronto so as to avoid any algae taking hold.

You want to let us know these tests when you get the kit:
FC
CC
pH
CH
TA
CYA

In that form, it is easiest for us to review. You'll also want to have Taylor's K-1766 Salt Test kit to verify your salt levels as you start to crank up the SWG.

Start reading Pool school articles too!

Yippee :flower:

In the long run, I think you're better off that the guy was a slacker. It's more work for you, but at least it'll get done right and you won't have to undo someone else's mistakes.

I suspect the strip is wrong and that you have zero CYA. And in that case, the SWG will never be able to keep up with the demand. If the SWG isn't displaying the Low Salt warning, it's probably got enough. Give it a hand with some bleach. With no CYA the target is only 3, but it'll disappear pretty fast with no UV protection.

Good morning all, tested again (still waiting on my TF-100 so using strips), the results are as follows.

FC-5
PH 7.8
TA 120
CYA-0

The salt generator was set on boost (100%) by the pool company yesterday, so I am not sure if that added to the FC as my goal was 4 (missed Richards reply with goal being 3) hopefully it burns off as I can clearly smell bleach on my arm after it being in the water. It looks like my TA is high, and CYA non existent. Is there anything I should do at this point?

Leave a nasty voicemail for the builder and inform him you'll be adding your own CYA so he better not show up and mess with your chemistry. Then do it.

Your 5 FC will all be gone again today, probably by noon, despite the SWG on full blast, just from UV degradation. If so, then my hypothesis is correct and they forgot to add CYA. Add some. Besides stabilizing the chlorine so it doesn't all go away in sunlight, it's mildly acidic and will help keep pH from climbing and will lower TA a little bit as well. A three-way win!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.