Aqua Rite - Constant Chlorine Generation

May 28, 2016
St. Charles/MO
Like many before me, I had a limiter that cracked on my Aqua Rite keeping the unit from powering and generating chlorine. I replaced it and have now encountered the opposite problem. The unit powers and generates... but won't stop generating regardless of the dialed output. If the unit is on, chlorine is being generated. I now have very high levels of chlorine in the pool. I can't figure out what is wrong. Anyone else have this issue and a solution? Thank you!

Ok, check it again to see if it's still generating.

5% of 180 minutes is 9 minutes. It should only generate for 9 minutes and then be off for 171 minutes.

You're set to a T-3 cell, is that what you have?

How many gallons is your pool?

Had turned it back off... sorry. Just fired it back to AUTO. Will check in 10 minutes. Does the % run on a 3-hour basis/cycle?

Yep... set to t-3 and that's what I have. My pool is about 10-12k gallons.

Thank you for working with me and assisting. I greatly appreciate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The “Generating” light stays on when the switch is in “Auto”, even when it is in the off part of the cycle.

The amps and instant salt went to zero, which indicate that it is not generating (meaning that it is now in the OFF part of the cycle).

Everything looks like it is working correctly.

What are your readings for fc (chlorine)and cya (cyanuric acid)?

3300 (Average salt)
81 (Water Temperature in F)
31.1 (Volts DC) (Correct voltage when not generating)
0.00 (Amps) (Correct when not generating)
5p (Percent)
-0 (Instant salt) (Correct when not generating)
AL-0 (Product name)
r1.55 (Software revision)
t-3 (Cell type).

If your pump ran 24 hours a day and the cell was set to 100%, about 7.2 ppm of chlorine would be added per day. That would be too much for a normal day.

For a pump run time of 24 hours, a setting of 25 to 50 % should be enough for most days.

Not sure why your chlorine is so high.

Leave it off until your fc is about 10% of the cya and then turn the output percent to 25 % and see how that works.

That sounds like VERY good news.

Well, I have had the pump running all day since Tuesday... chlorinator at 50% which has been pretty good in the past summers.

Free chlorine was 10 when checked at the pool store today. Turned off the SWC upon returning to cease chlorine production. Had been noticing the constant "Generating" light all week and was actually expecting it to be high as I felt like it had chlorinated constantly since Tuesday.

CYA was 100 as I had loaded it slowly last weekend. It was okay.

Everything seems like it is working correctly. The CYA is a bit high and will hold in chlorine. Try to work the CYA down to below 80 ppm. Maintain fc at about 7.5 % of cya.

Also, I would recommend that you get your own FASDPD test kit so that you can accurately monitor and adjust your FC as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.