Anyone have solid safety cover with mesh drain

bernieperry

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2013
It's time to replace our mesh safety cover for our inground pool.

Would appreciate any reviews about solid cover with mesh drain in the center.

Mostly curious to know if the amount of dirt that gets into the pool is significantly less?

Thanks

Lots of very fine dirt directly below the mesh panel, but nothing a good vacuum cleaning won't clear up.

One of my cats loves it for pawing at to get a drink!

Lots of very fine dirt directly below the mesh panel, but nothing a good vacuum cleaning won't clear up.

One of my cats loves it for pawing at to get a drink!

I'm guessing you also don't have as much of an algae issue compared to full mesh cover due to much less sun on the water. Has that been your experience?

I have a safety cover that is on all the time, except for when we are actually in the pool. As a family we have the process down pat to pull the cover back and to put it back on, so it is no big deal. Reason for our use of the safety cover year round is, well safety. Safety for the family, safety for the dog, safety for wild animals (got tired of finding rabbits, musk rats, gophers, etc. in the pool). We have trees all around, both conifers and deciduous. The safety cover does a great job of keeping needles, leaves, twigs, grass clippings, etc. out of the pool.

The previous safety cover we had was a standard duty, with a standard solid weave. Water easily drained through. It lasted 10 years.

Our current safety cover is 6 years old. It is a heavier duty than the previous. Almost no light at all passes through. Water will still drain through, but slowly. Actually had a problem towards the end of last summer where water would actually puddle in a couple of the center panels. I assume this was because very small leaf or dirt particulates clogged the tightly woven weave. Problem went away over the winter and no problem yet this year.

I attribute the safety cover to reduced chlorine usage, because of almost no light. Also no algae problem, probably a combination of no light and always good chlorine level maintained.

Not sure if a mesh panel is really needed.

Yes, BerniePerry, my pool cover is a very tight wolven mesh, where dirt and sunlight hardly penetrate. Actually I was not aware that "solid" safety covers actually existed until I did an internet search a few minutes ago. Is that material like a thick, reinforced tarp? With something like that, you would definitely need a mesh panel in the middle to let the water drain through. Also with it solid like that, I wonder how well the water would actually make it to the center panel, or would water end up sitting in all the solid panels due to the panels sagging just a bit between the straps?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.