Evaporation

Miscanthus

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2009
What is "normal" amount of water that you may expect to evaporate out of your pool per day. I know various weather factors influence it, and I also had a pool person tell me that you get more evaporation at night than the daytime. Is that correct?

What seems to be the biggest factor in evaporation is the temperature difference between the pool water and the air. Because I have solar, my water is quite warm but where I live the nights are cool even sometimes in the summer. So worst case, I have seen close to 3" per week in water loss. But for my area, the average annual evaporation is 60" or a little over 1" per week. It is typical to get twice the annual average for summer time and up the 3x if you have solar like I do. You can look up your area here.

So depending on the air temp at night, evaporation can be worse then which is why a solar cover is helpful to maintain heat. Evaporation will occur during the day as well but because the air temp is higher, it is less than at night. But wind plays a big factor as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.