Opening Numbers - First Time Opening

Aug 5, 2015
Manalapan, NJ
Hello everyone. Opened my pool at my new house for the first time today. Everything went well with the open. Water's a little cloudy, but the filter is doing its job so far.

Here are my numbers.

FC - 5
pH - 8.2
TA - 160
CYA - 30

I know the pH and TA need to come down. There's an article in Pool School that basically says to take the pH down to 7.2 and then bring it back up through aeration. I have a return jet that can be plugged which would divert the water to another return jet above it which is above the water line, thus spitting the water into the pool like a fountain and providing aeration. The pool school article says the muriatic acid will bring down both the pH and TA and then the aeration will raise the pH without affecting TA. Is it that simple? Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

Brian

Yes, it is pretty simple to use MA to lower pH and TA. Your pool with find a level it likes for TA that keeps the pH steady. Try lowering the TA a couple of times and bring the pH back to 7.5, then wait a couple of days to see if your pH remains stable. The only reason to adjust TA is to find the level that keeps your pH stable, so don't worry if the number looks "high" or "low".

Thanks for the help everyone. Just checked my other numbers. Kiddos were distracting me before.

CC - 0
CH - 400

Should I be worried about the high CH?

Thanks again.
No. And there isn't much you can do about it but drain off a bunch of water you probably just added. 400 CH is easily managed. Be generous when it's time to backwash and you'll lose some then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.