Slam question-ok to continue aeration and use solar cover?

I'm assuming you want to aerate as part of lowering TA? The answer is no. The pH test is all messed up at shock level FC. Pictures that show it. So once you aerate, you're stuck. You're blind. You haven;t got a clue where the pH is.

The solar cover should be left off. Algae-killing creates some CC, and if you block the sunlight, it won't have a chance to burn off. If the cover might have some algae spores on it, yeah, put it in for a while and press it down so the chlorine reaches everywhere, but don't leave it on as a matter of course. It will also get in the way of all the brushing and vacuuming you should be doing.

If you're SLAMing your pool, leave the cover off.

Station has very little effect on chlorine but it will raise pH. There is no reason to aerate during a SLAM so just leave that off as well.

No, my goal is to raise pH without raising TA. I know from reading all the wonderful info on this site that the pH test will be invalid during SLAM. So will aeration accelerate FC loss?

I was only going to leave the solar cover on at night to retain heat. off during day. is that ok. i know i have to brush etc! Thanks

No, my goal is to raise pH without raising TA. I know from reading all the wonderful info on this site that the pH test will be invalid during SLAM. So will aeration accelerate FC loss?
I don't think so. But how will you know when to stop? The pH test is useless at SLAM levels.
I was only going to leave the solar cover on at night to retain heat. off during day. is that ok. i know i have to brush etc! Thanks
That's fine. But don't be alarmed if CC levels are real high when you test in the morning.

...But how will you know when to stop? ....
Well, now , that is a good point. So far my progress in raising pH has been very slow. I am optimistic that the SLAM will finish quickly and i wasnt concerned about pH rising so fast. I will leave solar cover off and keep aerating one night, then wait till SLAM finished. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.