Is this black algae? What do I do?!

I have what may be black algae all over the walls of my 30' round above-ground pool. I have used an algae killer for black algae and 7 bags of shock. I tried brushing the walls after my pool had cycled for three hours, but although the algae is coming off into the pool, the black spots remain on the walls. Will these dark spots go away, or will I have to get a new liner? Is this black algae or something else? Help, please!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 33
Welcome! :wave:

No, not black algae. Black algae looks like polka dots or freckles. You just have algae and maybe some staining from it.

What you need to do is what we call a SLAM Process Forget shock powders and miracle snake oils and algaecides. It's bleach you'll be wanting. And a proper test kit so you know how much to add at one time.

It's all explained in the SLAM Process article, and you can also see how it works with real people in some of these threads.

Richard320 has covered the bases. You simply are not keeping chlorine in your pool. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That the textbook from which comes all of the things we teach. When you get that digested, you'll need one of the good testkits (you can't find it locally) and then let us walk you through the SLAM procedure.

That process will reduce the staining and continued elevated FC levels will eliminate them.....maybe 100%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.